Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Need advice to Port COM in Linux

Hi all
I am assigned a task which is to port a windows project into linux. I am relatively new to the porting concept. However I find this as interesting. But to my wonder I don

Comments

• desert_rosedesert_rose Posts: 8Member
    many replies here[img=null]!
  • nugentnugent Posts: 87Member
    WINE is not windows emulation. It is an attempt at implementing windows api's in Linux, thus programs that use windows api's could run under Linux at natively (not using emulation, which needs considerable overhead, whereas programs using wine should run at native speed, if you know what I mean)

COM is native to Windows. It is not available under Linux, I can't comment on wine's implementation of any COM components as I have never used wine or COM, so I am guessing that your best option is to completely port your program to Linux (and forget COM), preferably using standardise C or C++, which would make it easier to port to other OSes.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask (I know a reply took some time but I don't check this site very much any more because the boards that I have an interested are VERY quiet)

------
    nugent