Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

BC 4.5 linker error on an old program

Hello, Borlan C++ experts,
I am luckily playing an old application based on Borland C++ 3.1. My boss wanted me to make it run on Borland C++ 4.5 or higher version. I fixed the compiling errors, but got this error at link stage:
"...
Linker Warning: Possible reference to undefined extern Object::ZERO in module mysource.cpp
Linker Error: Too many error or warning messages.
"
mysource.cpp ( heaps of similiar source files) was working fine for around 18 years, it has no reference to Object::ZERO stuff, I don't know what Object::ZERO is.
Any help?
Thanks,
Charlie

Comments

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    No idea... can you post the code where the compiler error occurs?

It is most likely something related to the C++ standard. BC31 uses a very old and very obsolete version of C++, since several major revisions of the standard has been done since BC31 was made, the main one ANSI/ISO 1998. People developing new C++ programs on compilers made before 1998 are asking for trouble. For Borland folks, this means get rid of everything before BC5.5, because everything before then follows the C++ standard [italic]somewhat[/italic], but there might be issues with STL, obsolete header syntax and such.

My advise is to get a new Borland compiler. 5.83 is available for free as command line compiler, as well as a whole, fully useable freeware RAD tool.
  • bilderbikkelbilderbikkel Posts: 754Member
    : Hello, Borlan C++ experts,
    : I am luckily playing an old application based on Borland C++ 3.1. My
    : boss wanted me to make it run on Borland C++ 4.5 or higher version.
    : I fixed the compiling errors, but got this error at link stage:
    : "...
    : Linker Warning: Possible reference to undefined extern Object::ZERO
    : in module mysource.cpp
    : ...
    : Linker Error: Too many error or warning messages.
    : "
    : mysource.cpp ( heaps of similiar source files) was working fine for
    : around 18 years, it has no reference to Object::ZERO stuff, I don't
    : know what Object::ZERO is.
    : Any help?
    : Thanks,
    : Charlie
    :
    Are you sure you've added 'mysource.cpp' to your project by selecting 'Project | Add to project' ?
    bilderbikkel