Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

How to make VB6 application talk to java classes?

nagaraj_0510nagaraj_0510 Posts: 1Member
Hi All.

I have an urgent requirement to migrate from VB6 application to java side. My current VB6 application is a thick client having all GUI and business functionality situated in one exe. My client wants to convert the application to java side but by retaining the VB6 GUI as is. Hence i am searching all necessary resources to understand how un-managed VB code can talk to managed java classes. I request people here to help me in this regard by knowing me how we can achieve this interoperability scneraio. If you have any small prototype please share with me. My contact email is nagaraj_0510@yahoo.com.

Warm Regards
nagaraj

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : Hi All.
    :
    : I have an urgent requirement to migrate from VB6 application to java
    : side. My current VB6 application is a thick client having all GUI
    : and business functionality situated in one exe. My client wants to
    : convert the application to java side but by retaining the VB6 GUI as
    : is. Hence i am searching all necessary resources to understand how
    : un-managed VB code can talk to managed java classes. I request
    : people here to help me in this regard by knowing me how we can
    : achieve this interoperability scneraio. If you have any small
    : prototype please share with me. My contact email is
    : nagaraj_0510@yahoo.com.
    :
    : Warm Regards
    : nagaraj
    :
    First you need to define an interface from the GUI to the Java. Then you can write the necessary code in VB and in the java JNI.
    as far as I can see, the easiest way to do this is to design some sort of "command script language" with which the GUI can give commands to Java and receive the results back. This will make the GUI more static, but dynamic updates are possible by making the GUI issue a command once in a while.