Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Convert a VB.Net app to a web app?

furjawfurjaw Posts: 13Member
I wrote a Windows Forms application in Visual Basic 2005.

What would be involved in converting it to run as an internet web application?

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I wrote a Windows Forms application in Visual Basic 2005.
    :
    : What would be involved in converting it to run as an internet web
    : application?
    :
    That depends on what it does. If it uses files, you need to either access the user's PC or upload a file to the server. If you're playing sounds you might need to download a file for playing or change the code into a streaming media.
    Based on what you just said, it might be as simple as moving your forms into a web application/activeX control; or it might mean that you need to rewrite half your code.
  • bradwangbradwang Posts: 197Member
    :
    :

Most probably you can re-use all the classes in your application exception the Windows Forms related classes. For those Windows Forms, you'd need to create corresponding Web Forms, and you can re-use the control event handler as well.
    Brad Wang
    .NET Freelancer from China
  • wmiguywmiguy Posts: 1Member
    :
    :

Hi,

I had the same problem with my c# winform application, than a friend set my attention to visual web gui (http://www.visualwebgui.com), with minimum adjustment my winform application was running over the web.

best of luck,
    wmiguy.

• ac001ac001 Posts: 2Member
    You can change portions of your code and turn your application into a Windows-based Smart Client-web service application. A sample project can be found and downlaoded at http://www.microtools.us/_samples.htm.