Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

SQL.....Where to start?

Slim420Slim420 Posts: 9Member
Hello everyone, I would like to learn about Databases and SQL, but I don't know where to start!!!! I have looked at a few tutorials but all it's showing me is commands!!! Where do I input these commands? What program(s) will I need (on linux, preferably open-source, not freeware but if that's all I can get...)? Can someone shed a bit of light on this for me? All I need is a push in the right direction. If anyone knows of a pretty complete article that would help me I would be grateful for that also.

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    MySQL ships with many Linux distributions, though maybe isn't installed by default. But you can install it and then there is some tutorial on the website here:
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/tutorial.html

Also check out PostgreSQL.

Jonathan
    ###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
  • Slim420Slim420 Posts: 9Member
    : MySQL ships with many Linux distributions, though maybe isn't
    : installed by default. But you can install it and then there is some
    : tutorial on the website here:
    : http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/tutorial.html
    :
    : Also check out PostgreSQL.
    :
    : Jonathan
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

Yes' that's what I was wondering was whether I install it on my machine or my hosts server (turns out both). Thank you very much for your reply, I am up and going now and the tutorials are making sense now!! I'm still having a few issue's with user permission's (I have to use root to do anything) but I'll figure it out (if not I'm sure someone around here will know about it ;) )!