SQL.....Where to start? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

SQL.....Where to start?

Slim420Slim420 Posts: 9Member
Hello everyone, I would like to learn about Databases and SQL, but I don't know where to start!!!! I have looked at a few tutorials but all it's showing me is commands!!! Where do I input these commands? What program(s) will I need (on linux, preferably open-source, not freeware but if that's all I can get...)? Can someone shed a bit of light on this for me? All I need is a push in the right direction. If anyone knows of a pretty complete article that would help me I would be grateful for that also.

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    MySQL ships with many Linux distributions, though maybe isn't installed by default. But you can install it and then there is some tutorial on the website here:
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/tutorial.html

Also check out PostgreSQL.

Jonathan
    ###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
  • Slim420Slim420 Posts: 9Member
    : MySQL ships with many Linux distributions, though maybe isn't
    : installed by default. But you can install it and then there is some
    : tutorial on the website here:
    : http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/tutorial.html
    :
    : Also check out PostgreSQL.
    :
    : Jonathan
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

Yes' that's what I was wondering was whether I install it on my machine or my hosts server (turns out both). Thank you very much for your reply, I am up and going now and the tutorials are making sense now!! I'm still having a few issue's with user permission's (I have to use root to do anything) but I'll figure it out (if not I'm sure someone around here will know about it ;) )!