Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Borlands C++ vs Microsofts C++

I have borlands C++, C#, and Delphi. I then downloaded microsoft's C++ express edition and noticed that is took a mear 1 second to finish a line of code it would take borlands 1 minute in C++ or Delphi. All I had to do was click release build on microsoft C++, and I get super super fast results. How would I do this in Borland's C++? I have clicked under Project >> "Options fastest code possible" but it is still way begin Mircosoft's version. Is microsoft just faster?

If so I'll be willing to switch

Comments

• InOut.NETInOut.NET Posts: 6Member
    It's the awe of Microsoft developers and capitial. Borland (i think) couldn't afford clean and efficient codeing.
    I have *so* much trouble with the speed and stability of Borlands C++ personality. The number of locks and bugs is something i've never exprienced with Visual Studio.
    Youre right - everything in borland is 10 times slower than in VS. From the CodeSight (intellisense) to the compileing, project file management, package and includes management...agg everything in Borland C++ personality just feels like a failed copycat of VS.

still, I bought BDS, but the first change I get to convert, i'll take it.
  • AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    : It's the awe of Microsoft developers and capitial. Borland (i think)
    : couldn't afford clean and efficient codeing.
    : I have *so* much trouble with the speed and stability of Borlands
    : C++ personality. The number of locks and bugs is something i've
    : never exprienced with Visual Studio.
    : Youre right - everything in borland is 10 times slower than in VS.
    : From the CodeSight (intellisense) to the compileing, project file
    : management, package and includes management...agg everything in
    : Borland C++ personality just feels like a failed copycat of VS.
    :
    : still, I bought BDS, but the first change I get to convert, i'll
    : take it.
    :
    [color=Blue]Wow! I was using Borland before 1995 and it was really quick. Do they really left behind their 'TURBO' paradigm?.. That is sad...[/color]
  • LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    The OP likely messed up some compiler settings, which is easy to do. You should compile for release, skip "dynamic RTL" yada yada.

Every timing comparison I have ever done between Borland and MS compiling the very same code has always been in Borland's favour. MS even compiled slower than gcc in some cases, saying a lot. I have to assume that you aren't talking about compile times, but the speed of the program..?

Note that if you do RAD and use advanced GUI stuff, you have already made the decision not to prioritize speed. Including various libraries in such a project will make any program slow no matter compiler.

MS will likely be less slow than anything out there when it comes to .NET junk. No wonder. But there is no reason to do .NET junk from Borland Builder - if you are doing that, suit yourself. And if you are using .NET, you are certainly not looking for a fast program anyway, since it is using a VM like Java. And you need to provide a ton of runtime crap with your program.