Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

where do I start with learning how to program games

I want to know where I can start to learn how to program games... I dont know where to start if you could give me some good web sites or something to learn this info or what is the best language to use that would be best
Austin Taff

Comments

• MT2002MT2002 Posts: 1,444Member
    : I want to know where I can start to learn how to program games... I
    : dont know where to start if you could give me some good web sites or
    : something to learn this info or what is the best language to use
    : that would be best
    : Austin Taff

I personally use C++. As for website, [link=http://www.gamedev.net]GDNet[/link] has everything you will need :-)
    [hr][size=1][leftbr].:EvolutionEngine[rightbr][leftbr].:MicroOS Operating System[rightbr][leftbr][link=http://www.mt2002.sitesled.com]Website[rightbr][/link][/size]
  • EdgyrEdgyr Posts: 24Member
    : I want to know where I can start to learn how to program games... I
    : dont know where to start if you could give me some good web sites or
    : something to learn this info or what is the best language to use
    : that would be best
    : Austin Taff

To learn how to program games, couldn't you join a university that offer that kind of courses? If you want/must learn by yourself, you must read a lot. Not just free websites...

Most people panic and start learning DirectX/OpenGL... but these are just API's. When coding a real big game, you'll use a Game Engin that help you with all that stuff... What you realy need is a book about coding a game and not just the renderer. (If you plan on working in the game industry, most people don't start has hardcore DirectX programmer, but as general programmers)

I know someone, he know's everythings about OpenGL, DirectX, AI, Physic and Software Engeneering... But can he build a full game? No... He can't put it all togheter! He can build some cool pathfinding demo or Nice bouncing balls... or spining cubes with textures...

The best book I've ever read about putting it all together in the simpliest way possible is : Programming A Multiplayer FPS In DirectX

It seems abitious, to start by building a full multiplayer First Person Shooter... but believe me, It's so simple... It's only the basics !! In this book you will be constructing a full game engin for sound, network, input, Redering (in DirectX) etc... and build a game on top of the engin

you don't need to know everything... And don't just learn an API. Read this book from start to end... You'll have an Idea of what is a Game Engin (under the hood) and the experience of putting it all together... after that, if you want better graphics, you can learn more about Directx... I liked : Introduction to 3d Game Programming With Directx.

Oh, perhaps you will need some basic knowledge of C++ programming and Object Oriented programming before reading the book a suggested.

Most games and books uses C++... (the most interessting ones)

Good luck