Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Installing programs? (General info)

deostrolldeostroll Posts: 65Member
How do we install programs/packages on linux? I am not a linux user yet. I just want to know if a person wants to install a new application will he download source code OR run set up programs to install the program like how it is done on Windows?

I think the windows way of doing things is something that leaves us in the loop. We don't know what is exactly being installed. Hence this may lead to problems like pop ups and lot of other problems, mostly without our knowledge.

Comments

• nugentnugent Posts: 87Member
    : How do we install programs/packages on linux? I am not a linux user
    : yet. I just want to know if a person wants to install a new
    : application will he download source code OR run set up programs to
    : install the program like how it is done on Windows?
    :
    : I think the windows way of doing things is something that leaves us
    : in the loop. We don't know what is exactly being installed. Hence
    : this may lead to problems like pop ups and lot of other problems,
    : mostly without our knowledge.

It depends on the Linux distribution (ubuntu, fedora etc). Many distributions have a package management tool (debian based systems use apt-get, fedora and suse use rpm files). These tools can download and install programs (and all dependencies for the program). Most distros have graphical front-ends for these tools, such as synaptic.

Of course you can always download the source code (if it is available, not all linux programs are open source) and compile it yourself, but then you have to take care of the dependencies yourself (or possibly lose functionality in the program).

------
    nugent