Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

I just got a .com, now what? (please help!)

Well I registered my domain name, but it didnt come with a host or anything, which is fine by me, because I dont want to have to use a host if I can avoid it.

What im wondering is, is it possible to just 'host' my own site off of my computer, all my self? I'm a fairly OK C++ programmer, but I would preferably not want to re-program the wheel if theres already a good, free, program for 'hosting' my own site.

Any help would be greatly apreciated :)

I dont know what im doing heh

Comments

• : Well I registered my domain name, but it didnt come with a host or anything, which is fine by me, because I dont want to have to use a host if I can avoid it.

:

: What im wondering is, is it possible to just 'host' my own site off of my computer, all my self? I'm a fairly OK C++ programmer, but I would preferably not want to re-program the wheel if theres already a good, free, program for 'hosting' my own site.

:

: Any help would be greatly apreciated :)

: I dont know what im doing heh

:

All you need is a server program, and in your case most likely a web server program. Though you may also want ftp and some of the other protocols.

Linux comes with most of this stuff.

Programming it is easy (a HTTP (web) server can be written in 600 bytes in linux assembly).

Apache is the most used server software... and it's free. (Apache works with both Linux and Windows, but it is designed for linux).

Hosting is easy... at least until you start getting hit for real.

Have fun.

• well ive heard that if you call your pc in example www.mysite.com and you lett your network card open to yourmodem and place a general map

in it you have your own server

only problem if there is an other domain named www.mysite.com

problems

its even not script kiddie safe

i mean very easy to get into your hard drive dir

do it only in case of problems

dears

sacho