Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

[Help]Algorithm form room allocation..??

vl_ryandivl_ryandi Posts: 1Member
Hi, i'm going to make program for examination timetabling. I am confused, how to choose most suitable room for some exam. These are the rules for placing an exam to a room:
1. If total of students is bigger than the biggest room capability, then the class will be split. (ex. if the total of students is 120, but the biggest capacity of room is 40, then the exam will be split into three rooms)
2. One room can handle two (maximum, cant more than 2 exams) exams at the same time and day.

I am going to minimize the use of room and day. So the exam will be held densely (lets say, if the timetable made by human will product a timetable for 12 days, i want to minimize it to 10 days.. or 9 days...)

Anyone can help me?

Thank you very much

Comments

• SimonPrg123SimonPrg123 Posts: 64Member
    : Hi, i'm going to make program for examination timetabling. I am
    : confused, how to choose most suitable room for some exam. These are
    : the rules for placing an exam to a room:
    : 1. If total of students is bigger than the biggest room capability,
    : then the class will be split. (ex. if the total of students is 120,
    : but the biggest capacity of room is 40, then the exam will be split
    : into three rooms)
    : 2. One room can handle two (maximum, cant more than 2 exams) exams
    : at the same time and day.
    :
    : I am going to minimize the use of room and day. So the exam will be
    : held densely (lets say, if the timetable made by human will product
    : a timetable for 12 days, i want to minimize it to 10 days.. or 9
    : days...)
    :
    :
    : Anyone can help me?
    :
    : Thank you very much
    :

I actually not sure whether i should have answered this cause it was a while back, but just incase you still need answer, I can actually give you the code in Delphi if you need an example, but here it is explained what you need to do.

[u]Step 1[/u]
    Lets say that for example sake you use structured variables {like in Delphi records} that look like this

Roomtype
    RoomNR //primary key for record
    Roomsize // size of the room, how many seats

Rostertype
    Date // Date for exam
    RoomNR // Which room for this date
    ExamNR // Which exam for this room and date

Examtype
    ExamNR // Primary key for the exams
    StudentsAmount // Amount of students in this exam
    Allocated // Boolean type, to chech later if the exam was allocated to
    date and room or not...

For example sake lets say you have code to enter the information needed for the different rooms, exams into array's of the above structured variables created...

[u]Step 2[/u]
    Now you must initialise the examType.Allocated to false to ensure no exam is allocated, as well as that the Rostertype is completely empty.

[u]Step 3[/u]
    Now begins the fun part the big coding. You must now use While statements to get the job done infact there are going to be a few.
    First you want to do the easy part allocate the first exam in the correct room, i'd say use the ExamType as the first while statements directive, then search each room for the best size , test whether the room is occupied with the by test the space left. AFter this allocate the size to the date to show it has been allocated, then after this use a while statement to test the dates to see if on the same date the same room has more than 2 exams if so then minus the current exams students from the date room allocation.

In a nutshell that is what you need to do, if you need more detail if be happy to forward you some code unfortunately i only know Delphi fluently to ensure the code will work i know C++ but not that good, contact me for further information.

simon@ld.co.za