Accessing extended chars in linux - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Accessing extended chars in linux

I want to ask is there any way you can access extended characters in linux? Like in windows we have ALT+(keycode). It that possible in linux? I have already seen programs like kcharselect but they dont provide this feature. How can i access extended characters in linux something like ALT+keycode combination in windows?

Thank you.

Comments

• IDKIDK Posts: 1,784Member
    : I want to ask is there any way you can access extended characters in linux? Like in windows we have ALT+(keycode). It that possible in linux? I have already seen programs like kcharselect but they dont provide this feature. How can i access extended characters in linux something like ALT+keycode combination in windows?
    :
    : Thank you.
    :

First try: What happens when you press alt+A in the terminal?
  • niksad008niksad008 Posts: 32Member
    :
    : First try: What happens when you press alt+A in the terminal?
    :
    Nothing Happens. I tryed pressing different keys after that but to no luck it just opens the file menu for the corresponding key.
    : :
    : : First try: What happens when you press alt+A in the terminal?
    : Nothing Happens. I tryed pressing different keys after that but to no luck it just opens the file menu for the corresponding key.
    :

Under which platform are you programming? The terminal, gtk, or something?

I would recomend looking at the manual of your platform.
  • niksad008niksad008 Posts: 32Member
    : : :
    : : : First try: What happens when you press alt+A in the terminal?
    : : Nothing Happens. I tryed pressing different keys after that but to no luck it just opens the file menu for the corresponding key.
    :
    : Under which platform are you programming? The terminal, gtk, or something?
    :
    : I would recomend looking at the manual of your platform.
    :
    Well i am hoping to get it working in KDE or gnome. Our main aim is to enable the access of extended characters in OpenOffice 2.0. I have read a few posts about dead keys and so on. But couldnt get it working on my computer. I am using fedora core 4.
    : : : :
    : : : : First try: What happens when you press alt+A in the terminal?
    : : : :
    : : : Nothing Happens. I tryed pressing different keys after that but to no luck it just opens the file menu for the corresponding key.
    : : Under which platform are you programming? The terminal, gtk, or something?
    : : I would recomend looking at the manual of your platform.
    : Well i am hoping to get it working in KDE or gnome. Our main aim is to enable the access of extended characters in OpenOffice 2.0. I have read a few posts about dead keys and so on. But couldnt get it working on my computer. I am using fedora core 4.
    :

No, what platform is you programming on?

Which library are you using?
    stdio, gtk.
    Which include files do you have?