Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Questions about fonts in Java

galvlogalvlo Posts: 17Member
Is it possible to use a font in a program that people don't have installed on their system? For example, I am a beginning Java programmer and starting out by picking about dinky little games (in this case, a simple open source game of Tetris) and seeing how they work, try to tweak them, etc.

Can I use a font that isn't installed on someone's computer?

Comments

• VilanyeVilanye Posts: 684Member
    : Is it possible to use a font in a program that people don't have installed on their system? For example, I am a beginning Java programmer and starting out by picking about dinky little games (in this case, a simple open source game of Tetris) and seeing how they work, try to tweak them, etc.
    :
    : Can I use a font that isn't installed on someone's computer?
    :
    No, which is why most text content uses standard fonts. You might be able to add the font file to the distributable.
    [italic][blue]Just my 2 bits[/blue][/italic]

• galvlogalvlo Posts: 17Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by galvlo at 2007-4-15 21:0:12[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Is it possible to use a font in a program that people don't have installed on their system? For example, I am a beginning Java programmer and starting out by picking about dinky little games (in this case, a simple open source game of Tetris) and seeing how they work, try to tweak them, etc.
    : :
    : : Can I use a font that isn't installed on someone's computer?
    : No, which is why most text content uses standard fonts. You might be able to add the font file to the distributable.
    : [italic][blue]Just my 2 bits[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :

Ugh, was hoping I would get that bad news hehe. Ok, is it possible for a game, upon starting, to check and see if you have a particular font installed and if not, prompt the player with the option to install it (include the font in with the game)?

: [b][red]This message was edited by galvlo at 2007-4-15 21:0:12[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : Is it possible to use a font in a program that people don't have installed on their system? For example, I am a beginning Java programmer and starting out by picking about dinky little games (in this case, a simple open source game of Tetris) and seeing how they work, try to tweak them, etc.
    : : :
    : : : Can I use a font that isn't installed on someone's computer?
    : : No, which is why most text content uses standard fonts. You might be able to add the font file to the distributable.
    : : [italic][blue]Just my 2 bits[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :
    : Ugh, was hoping I would get that bad news hehe. Ok, is it possible for a game, upon starting, to check and see if you have a particular font installed and if not, prompt the player with the option to install it (include the font in with the game)?
    :
    :
    :

Yes, you can get a list for installed fonts, you can also put them in a String to list in a combo box or whatever:

[code]
    GraphicsEnvironment get= GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment();
    Font[] font = ge.getAllFonts();
    String[] fn = new String[font.length];

for(int i=0;i<font.length;i++)
    fn[i] = font[i].getFontName();

: [b][red]This message was edited by galvlo at 2007-4-15 21:0:12[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : Is it possible to use a font in a program that people don't have installed on their system? For example, I am a beginning Java programmer and starting out by picking about dinky little games (in this case, a simple open source game of Tetris) and seeing how they work, try to tweak them, etc.
    : : : Can I use a font that isn't installed on someone's computer?
    : : No, which is why most text content uses standard fonts. You might be able to add the font file to the distributable.
    : : [italic][blue]Just my 2 bits[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :
    : Ugh, was hoping I would get that bad news hehe. Ok, is it possible for a game, upon starting, to check and see if you have a particular font installed and if not, prompt the player with the option to install it (include the font in with the game)?
    :

Yes, you can get a list a installed fonts as a Font[] or String[]:

[code]GraphicsEnvironment ge = GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment();
    Font[] font = ge.getAllFonts();
    String[] fn = new String[font.length];

for(int i=0;i<font.length;i++)
    {
    fn[i] = font[i].getFontName();
    // System.out.println(fn[i]);
    }
    [/code]

I am not sure exactly how to install them in code.