Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

PIC programming

AlaskanEEAlaskanEE Member Posts: 2
I'm looking to use Basic to program a 16F88 PIC. The PIC needs to be able to allow serial datta recieved from a blueSmirf through the PIC to an LCD uninterupted. At the same time the PIC needs to be able to activate the backlight for the LCD when serial information is being passed and then turn off the backlight after a designated amount of time has passed. The same serial signal also has to triger the PIC to pass a high signal out from one of its output ports. Along the same line the PIC also has to recieve a high signal from a push button circuit and use that to turn on the backlight of the LCD on then turn it off after the same designated time. If anyone has an idea about where to start with such a task or can direct me to helpfull information on the topic, it would be greatly appriciated. By the way I was planning on using PICBasic Pro to program the PIC so any knowlege on that program would be greatly appriciated as well.

Thanks
AlaskanEE

Comments

• melissa_may1melissa_may1 Member Posts: 937
    Hi!

This doesn't sound too difficult. What have you done so far? Do you have a development board or a PIC to play around with? How about the BASIC?

If you're thinking of using BASIC just for this task, it's kind of overkill. Passing serial data out, and setting/resetting a bit isn't all that complicated.

I haven't used PICs, but I've done programming on a bunch of other microcontrollers, mostly the 8051 family. For me, just starting a project is the tough part.

One other question? Why the PIC? Would another device work for you, or are you somehow forced to use PIC?

I'd advise getting your hands on a development kit, and starting in with it!

: I'm looking to use Basic to program a 16F88 PIC. The PIC needs to be able to allow serial datta recieved from a blueSmirf through the PIC to an LCD uninterupted. At the same time the PIC needs to be able to activate the backlight for the LCD when serial information is being passed and then turn off the backlight after a designated amount of time has passed. The same serial signal also has to triger the PIC to pass a high signal out from one of its output ports. Along the same line the PIC also has to recieve a high signal from a push button circuit and use that to turn on the backlight of the LCD on then turn it off after the same designated time. If anyone has an idea about where to start with such a task or can direct me to helpfull information on the topic, it would be greatly appriciated. By the way I was planning on using PICBasic Pro to program the PIC so any knowlege on that program would be greatly appriciated as well.
    :
    : Thanks
    : AlaskanEE
    :

[purple]Melissa[/purple]