Image processing problems with bufferedImage

I have a problem with trying to normalize an image in Java.
My image is 16-bit, so it is stored in a short array.
By normalize I mean that I am trying to set the pixel with lowest intensity to Short.MIN_VALUE and the pixel with the highest intensity to Short.MAX_VALUE and all the other pixels in between somewhere in the middle.

I construct the buffered image like this...
bi = new BufferedImage(width, height, BufferedImage.TYPE_USHORT_GRAY);
Then after I do my normalization code on the short array, I set the buffered image to use the short array like this...
bi.getRaster().setDataElements(0, 0, width, height, shortbuf);

The problem is that BufferedImage is set to be TYPE_USHORT_GRAY. Java doesn't have unsigned shorts, and there is no type defining a grayscale image using signed shorts. So the maximum value I can store in my shorts is half of what I could store in an unsigned short, resulting in a crappy normalization.

Can anyone tell me another way to do this?

Comments

• Use a larger primitive type, like int.

: I have a problem with trying to normalize an image in Java.
    : My image is 16-bit, so it is stored in a short array.
    : By normalize I mean that I am trying to set the pixel with lowest intensity to Short.MIN_VALUE and the pixel with the highest intensity to Short.MAX_VALUE and all the other pixels in between somewhere in the middle.
    :
    : I construct the buffered image like this...
    : bi = new BufferedImage(width, height, BufferedImage.TYPE_USHORT_GRAY);
    : Then after I do my normalization code on the short array, I set the buffered image to use the short array like this...
    : bi.getRaster().setDataElements(0, 0, width, height, shortbuf);
    :
    : The problem is that BufferedImage is set to be TYPE_USHORT_GRAY. Java doesn't have unsigned shorts, and there is no type defining a grayscale image using signed shorts. So the maximum value I can store in my shorts is half of what I could store in an unsigned short, resulting in a crappy normalization.
    :
    : Can anyone tell me another way to do this?
    :

[italic][blue]Just my 2 bits[/blue][/italic]

• Thanks for replying.
    I've tried this, unfortunately the specification of TYPE_USHORT_GRAY causes the program to crash because it is expecting the short data type. Also there is no TYPE_INT_GRAY in the specification. All of the INT types are for color pictures, no grayscale.
    Ack! Why would Java not provide unsigned types and then make 16-bit grayscale buffered images only work properly with unsigned data?!?!?