Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

What language should I use?

I want to program a replacement for the Windows tray clock and yes, I want it to run in the tray. I want to be able to choose font size (perhaps having a graphical clock). Here are some features I want the clock to have:

- The clock should preferably run independently of the system time. If running on a workstation connected to the server, my clock should not be reset when the server time is reset. It should keep its own, independent reckoning of time, updating every 15 seconds (how will it know when "15 seconds" is?)

- Preferably, the clock would grab the time from the Internet at startup. But this is not mandatory.

- This is a MUST: the clock must run in quarter-minute increments most of the time (example: 18:35), but times from 23:58:30 to 00:00:29 should be displayed as shown. Also, the clock MUST not change dimensions when the time changes.

What language should I program this in? I am not such a geek as to learn a difficult language for this. I can handle VB a bit, but that's it. I just want a clock like this.

Comments

• LundinLundin Member Posts: 3,711
    : I want to program a replacement for the Windows tray clock and yes, I want it to run in the tray. I want to be able to choose font size (perhaps having a graphical clock). Here are some features I want the clock to have:
    :
    : - The clock should preferably run independently of the system time. If running on a workstation connected to the server, my clock should not be reset when the server time is reset. It should keep its own, independent reckoning of time, updating every 15 seconds (how will it know when "15 seconds" is?)
    :
    : - Preferably, the clock would grab the time from the Internet at startup. But this is not mandatory.
    :
    : - This is a MUST: the clock must run in quarter-minute increments most of the time (example: 18:35), but times from 23:58:30 to 00:00:29 should be displayed as shown. Also, the clock MUST not change dimensions when the time changes.
    :
    : What language should I program this in? I am not such a geek as to learn a difficult language for this. I can handle VB a bit, but that's it. I just want a clock like this.
    :

If it is even possible to replace the system clock, it would be through something in the Windows API. I hope you realize that this is an advanced project that would require deep knowledge about Windows API programming. The most comfortable language to use is therefore C/C++, since the API is written in C.

VB isn't ment to be used for advanced things. If you want to do advanced things, don't use a limited language.