Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Which language should I use?

Ok im taking a class on information retrieval and its pretty much about different methods of retrieving information from documents, files, the web etc. Pretty much doing google type searches.

Now for a final project I have to implement some of the stuff I learned and I need to figure out what language/platform I am using.

Now im going to try and make a program that searches and indexes the files on your computer, pretty much the same as the search button on the start menu.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what language I should use, I have to have a GUI too doesnt have to be fancy or anything. My language experience is C++, C, Java, and PHP.

I have Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2003 .NET so i can do everything that program covers pretty easily, otherwise I would have to download a compiler do cover whatever else im doing.

So any suggestions?

Comments

• LundinLundin Member Posts: 3,711
    : Ok im taking a class on information retrieval and its pretty much about different methods of retrieving information from documents, files, the web etc. Pretty much doing google type searches.
    :
    : Now for a final project I have to implement some of the stuff I learned and I need to figure out what language/platform I am using.
    :
    : Now im going to try and make a program that searches and indexes the files on your computer, pretty much the same as the search button on the start menu.
    :
    : Does anyone have any suggestions on what language I should use, I have to have a GUI too doesnt have to be fancy or anything. My language experience is C++, C, Java, and PHP.
    :
    : I have Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2003 .NET so i can do everything that program covers pretty easily, otherwise I would have to download a compiler do cover whatever else im doing.
    :
    : So any suggestions?
    :
    :

Java might have some smart wrap-around for those who don't like the Win API, it wouldn't surprise me.

Otherwise, you will have to use the Windows API so if you pick C/C++ you can use the examples by Microsoft on MSDN without rewriting them.

Check the documentation:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364232.aspx

And take a closer look at FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile() in particular.