Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Exporting and importing data to/fro Excel

GyronMkweboGyronMkwebo Posts: 224Member ✭✭
I am designing a pricing system that occasional requires users to export filtered data into a spreadsheet and make comparisons in there. Users can then alter that data and 'suck' it back into the system.
I use Eclipse based on a Linux OS. Does anyone know how i can do that?

Comments

• pahpah Posts: 83Member
    : I am designing a pricing system that occasional requires users to export filtered data into a spreadsheet and make comparisons in there. Users can then alter that data and 'suck' it back into the system.
    : I use Eclipse based on a Linux OS. Does anyone know how i can do that?
    :
    I dont know how this could be under linux on windows system you could youse a dde connection to controll the excel sheet.

But this would be a commercial product to make a dde connection.....

look if it is a similar technic under linux.......

or export the data into a file under a specf. folder and let the spreedsheet read the data with a macro through a button click !!

• GyronMkweboGyronMkwebo Posts: 224Member ✭✭
    : : I am designing a pricing system that occasional requires users to export filtered data into a spreadsheet and make comparisons in there. Users can then alter that data and 'suck' it back into the system.
    : : I use Eclipse based on a Linux OS. Does anyone know how i can do that?
    : :
    : I dont know how this could be under linux on windows system you could youse a dde connection to controll the excel sheet.
    :
    : But this would be a commercial product to make a dde connection.....
    :
    : look if it is a similar technic under linux.......
    :
    : or export the data into a file under a specf. folder and let the spreedsheet read the data with a macro through a button click !!
    :
    : i googled and fond this site http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javaqa/2001-06/04-qa-0629-excel.html
    to be very helpful but i want to run this on a Linux platform and not the windows one illustrated above. those using windows can try the above code, its very helpful. As for linux, anyone with something helpful?
    :

: : : I am designing a pricing system that occasional requires users to export filtered data into a spreadsheet and make comparisons in there. Users can then alter that data and 'suck' it back into the system.
    : : : I use Eclipse based on a Linux OS. Does anyone know how i can do that?
    : : :
    : : I dont know how this could be under linux on windows system you could youse a dde connection to controll the excel sheet.
    : : But this would be a commercial product to make a dde connection.....
    : : look if it is a similar technic under linux.......
    : : or export the data into a file under a specf. folder and let the spreedsheet read the data with a macro through a button click !!
    : : i googled and fond this site http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javaqa/2001-06/04-qa-0629-excel.html
    : to be very helpful but i want to run this on a Linux platform and not the windows one illustrated above. those using windows can try the above code, its very helpful. As for linux, anyone with something helpful?
    :
    :

ok i read the articel but as i saw you can only read the spreedsheet with the odbc driver ?!

You wanted to write (export) to the spreedsheet.....

Further i think under linux as i know also the odbc driver can be used so google for the table calculation software which you have and hope there are odbc driver support for this product then you could use the same methode like in the article...

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : : : I am designing a pricing system that occasional requires users to export filtered data into a spreadsheet and make comparisons in there. Users can then alter that data and 'suck' it back into the system.
    : : : I use Eclipse based on a Linux OS. Does anyone know how i can do that?
    : : I dont know how this could be under linux on windows system you could youse a dde connection to controll the excel sheet.
    : : But this would be a commercial product to make a dde connection.....
    : : look if it is a similar technic under linux.......
    : : or export the data into a file under a specf. folder and let the spreedsheet read the data with a macro through a button click !!
    : : i googled and fond this site http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javaqa/2001-06/04-qa-0629-excel.html
    : to be very helpful but i want to run this on a Linux platform and not the windows one illustrated above. those using windows can try the above code, its very helpful. As for linux, anyone with something helpful?
    :
    :
    Perhaps OpenOffice is an idea. As far as I know it is mostly compatible with MS Office and able to run on several OSes.
  • GyronMkweboGyronMkwebo Posts: 224Member ✭✭
    : : : : I am designing a pricing system that occasional requires users to export filtered data into a spreadsheet and make comparisons in there. Users can then alter that data and 'suck' it back into the system.
    : : : : I use Eclipse based on a Linux OS. Does anyone know how i can do that?
    : : : :
    : : : I dont know how this could be under linux on windows system you could youse a dde connection to controll the excel sheet.
    : : : But this would be a commercial product to make a dde connection.....
    : : : look if it is a similar technic under linux.......
    : : : or export the data into a file under a specf. folder and let the spreedsheet read the data with a macro through a button click !!
    : : : i googled and fond this site http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javaqa/2001-06/04-qa-0629-excel.html
    : : to be very helpful but i want to run this on a Linux platform and not the windows one illustrated above. those using windows can try the above code, its very helpful. As for linux, anyone with something helpful?
    : Perhaps OpenOffice is an idea. As far as I know it is mostly compatible with MS Office and able to run on several OSes.
    :
    Do yo0u know how i can do that using OpenOffice? I have it on my machine and was toying with the idea. Ms Excel got the nod coz a lot of the big guys here use that and the rule of thumb is to make them happy ;-) How can i use OpenOffice Calc and Java?
    : : : : : I am designing a pricing system that occasional requires users to export filtered data into a spreadsheet and make comparisons in there. Users can then alter that data and 'suck' it back into the system.
    : : : : : I use Eclipse based on a Linux OS. Does anyone know how i can do that?
    : : : : :
    : : : : I dont know how this could be under linux on windows system you could youse a dde connection to controll the excel sheet.
    : : : : But this would be a commercial product to make a dde connection.....
    : : : : look if it is a similar technic under linux.......
    : : : : or export the data into a file under a specf. folder and let the spreedsheet read the data with a macro through a button click !!
    : : : : i googled and fond this site http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javaqa/2001-06/04-qa-0629-excel.html
    : : : to be very helpful but i want to run this on a Linux platform and not the windows one illustrated above. those using windows can try the above code, its very helpful. As for linux, anyone with something helpful?
    : : Perhaps OpenOffice is an idea. As far as I know it is mostly compatible with MS Office and able to run on several OSes.
    : Do yo0u know how i can do that using OpenOffice? I have it on my machine and was toying with the idea. Ms Excel got the nod coz a lot of the big guys here use that and the rule of thumb is to make them happy ;-) How can i use OpenOffice Calc and Java?
    :
    Look at this pdf file under Chapter 3

http://wi.wu-wien.ac.at/rgf/diplomarbeiten/BakkStuff/2006/200607_Prem/20060724_ooRexxSnippetsOOoWriter_2.1_odt.pdf

there is a description of openoffice interface uno ??

it says it can be talked over this interface with openoffice from any language check it out i hope it works......