Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

HOOOOOOOOOW to GENERATE an EOF in WINDOWS command line?

day9981day9981 Posts: 22Member
[b][red]This message was edited by day9981 at 2007-1-9 22:47:14[/red][/b][hr]
[b][red]This message was edited by day9981 at 2007-1-9 22:46:28[/red][/b][hr]
No problem, I know prssing Ctrl+Z generates EOF in Windows, and pressing Ctrl+D generates EOF in Unix/Linux. Problem was it doesn`t always work in Windows command line, or i should say NEVER, when you press Ctrl+Z. No way to do so, like in the following program.

#include

int
main(void)
{
char name[256];

printf ("What is your name?
");
scanf( "%s", name ); // gets(name); also fails
if (name == NULL)
printf( "See you.
" );
else
printf( "Hello, %s.
", name );

return 0;
}

gets returns a NULL when it meets an EOF and no input entered. I want to see "See you." in the above program.
However, I tried it in Pelles C, VC, TC/C++, no way, no way to generate an EOF by pressing Ctrl+Z. Can anyone tell me how to?

Comments

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by day9981 at 2007-1-9 22:47:14[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by day9981 at 2007-1-9 22:46:28[/red][/b][hr]
    : No problem, I know prssing Ctrl+Z generates EOF in Windows, and pressing Ctrl+D generates EOF in Unix/Linux. Problem was it doesn`t always work in Windows command line, or i should say NEVER, when you press Ctrl+Z. No way to do so, like in the following program.
    :
    : #include
    :
    : int
    : main(void)
    : {
    : char name[256];
    :
    : printf ("What is your name?
    ");
    : scanf( "%s", name ); // gets(name); also fails
    : if (name == NULL)
    : printf( "See you.
    " );
    : else
    : printf( "Hello, %s.
    ", name );
    :
    : return 0;
    : }
    :
    : gets returns a NULL when it meets an EOF and no input entered. I want to see "See you." in the above program.
    : However, I tried it in Pelles C, VC, TC/C++, no way, no way to generate an EOF by pressing Ctrl+Z. Can anyone tell me how to?
    :
    :

That might be because scanf doesn't store EOF in the result variable. Check if the return value from scanf == EOF instead. Then, when your program is correctly written, start blaming Windows if it isn't working.
  • day9981day9981 Posts: 22Member
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by day9981 at 2007-1-9 22:47:14[/red][/b][hr]
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by day9981 at 2007-1-9 22:46:28[/red][/b][hr]
    : : No problem, I know prssing Ctrl+Z generates EOF in Windows, and pressing Ctrl+D generates EOF in Unix/Linux. Problem was it doesn`t always work in Windows command line, or i should say NEVER, when you press Ctrl+Z. No way to do so, like in the following program.
    : :
    : : #include
    : : int
    : : main(void)
    : : {
    : : char name[256];
    : : printf ("What is your name?
    ");
    : : scanf( "%s", name ); // gets(name); also fails
    : : if (name == NULL)
    : : printf( "See you.
    " );
    : : else
    : : printf( "Hello, %s.
    ", name );
    : : return 0;
    : : }
    : : gets returns a NULL when it meets an EOF and no input entered. I want to see "See you." in the above program.
    : : However, I tried it in Pelles C, VC, TC/C++, no way, no way to generate an EOF by pressing Ctrl+Z. Can anyone tell me how to?
    :
    : That might be because scanf doesn't store EOF in the result variable. Check if the return value from scanf == EOF instead. Then, when your program is correctly written, start blaming Windows if it isn't working.
    :
    :
    :
    : I see the potential error in my program. name is never a NULL! In fact it should be (str = gets(name)) == NULL where str is a char *, if i press Ctrl+Z. Thank you for your reply and my thanks also goes to your reply elsewhere, say, in my reply to Peter.