Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Turbo Pascal Compiler for XP

Rico_PalatinoRico_Palatino Posts: 3Member
I wrote Pascal Code (crossword making software) in the late 80s using Turbo Pascal 4.0. It worked on upgraded PCs until Windows 98. With XP I can't run the code any more. Nor can I recompile my source code. I get an error headed "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" andf telling me:
"C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

I get the same error message if I try to run Turbo.exe to recompile. Do I need a TP 4.0 compiler for XP (is there such a thing?) and if so where do I get one?

Grateful for your help. Thanks/Rico

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I wrote Pascal Code (crossword making software) in the late 80s using Turbo Pascal 4.0. It worked on upgraded PCs until Windows 98. With XP I can't run the code any more. Nor can I recompile my source code. I get an error headed "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" andf telling me:
    : "C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
    :
    : I get the same error message if I try to run Turbo.exe to recompile. Do I need a TP 4.0 compiler for XP (is there such a thing?) and if so where do I get one?
    :
    : Grateful for your help. Thanks/Rico
    :
    :
    :
    There's no such thing. You might want to try GNU Pascal, FreePascal or Delphi as a new compiler.
  • Phat NatPhat Nat Posts: 757Member
    : I wrote Pascal Code (crossword making software) in the late 80s using Turbo Pascal 4.0. It worked on upgraded PCs until Windows 98. With XP I can't run the code any more. Nor can I recompile my source code. I get an error headed "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" andf telling me:
    : "C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
    :
    : I get the same error message if I try to run Turbo.exe to recompile. Do I need a TP 4.0 compiler for XP (is there such a thing?) and if so where do I get one?
    :
    : Grateful for your help. Thanks/Rico

I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS under Windows XP with no problems and have for quite a while.

Phat Nat
  • Rico_PalatinoRico_Palatino Posts: 3Member
    : : I wrote Pascal Code (crossword making software) in the late 80s using Turbo Pascal 4.0. It worked on upgraded PCs until Windows 98. With XP I can't run the code any more. Nor can I recompile my source code. I get an error headed "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" andf telling me:
    : : "C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
    : :
    : : I get the same error message if I try to run Turbo.exe to recompile. Do I need a TP 4.0 compiler for XP (is there such a thing?) and if so where do I get one?
    : : Grateful for your help. Thanks/Rico
    :
    : I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS under Windows XP with no problems and have for quite a while.
    :
    : Phat Nat
    :

• Rico_PalatinoRico_Palatino Posts: 3Member
    : : : I wrote Pascal Code (crossword making software) in the late 80s using Turbo Pascal 4.0. It worked on upgraded PCs until Windows 98. With XP I can't run the code any more. Nor can I recompile my source code. I get an error headed "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" andf telling me:
    : : : "C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
    : : :
    : : : I get the same error message if I try to run Turbo.exe to recompile. Do I need a TP 4.0 compiler for XP (is there such a thing?) and if so where do I get one?
    : : : Grateful for your help. Thanks/Rico
    : : I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS under Windows XP with no problems and have for quite a while.
    : : Phat Nat
    : Thanks Phat Nat. I may try - meanwhile I have come across Dosbox - which emulates an old machine. It is a bit clumsy to set up - and not everything works, but I have got my crossword compiling software running on it. Thanks for your advice.

:

• Phat NatPhat Nat Posts: 757Member
    : : : : I wrote Pascal Code (crossword making software) in the late 80s using Turbo Pascal 4.0. It worked on upgraded PCs until Windows 98. With XP I can't run the code any more. Nor can I recompile my source code. I get an error headed "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" andf telling me:
    : : : : "C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
    : : : :
    : : : : I get the same error message if I try to run Turbo.exe to recompile. Do I need a TP 4.0 compiler for XP (is there such a thing?) and if so where do I get one?
    : : : :
    : : : : Grateful for your help. Thanks/Rico
    : : : I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS under Windows XP with no problems and have for quite a while.
    : : : Phat Nat
    :
    :Thanks Phat Nat. I may try - meanwhile I have come across Dosbox - which emulates an old machine. It is a bit clumsy to set up - and not everything works, but I have got my crossword compiling software running on it. Thanks for your advice.

Actually, I believe that TP5.5 works as well and it's available for free. I don't have the link, but if you search here (or probably most searchh engines) you should come up with the link. It's straight from the Borland site if I remember correctly.

Phat Nat