Turbo Pascal Compiler for XP - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Turbo Pascal Compiler for XP

Rico_PalatinoRico_Palatino Posts: 3Member
I wrote Pascal Code (crossword making software) in the late 80s using Turbo Pascal 4.0. It worked on upgraded PCs until Windows 98. With XP I can't run the code any more. Nor can I recompile my source code. I get an error headed "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" andf telling me:
"C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

I get the same error message if I try to run Turbo.exe to recompile. Do I need a TP 4.0 compiler for XP (is there such a thing?) and if so where do I get one?

Grateful for your help. Thanks/Rico

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I wrote Pascal Code (crossword making software) in the late 80s using Turbo Pascal 4.0. It worked on upgraded PCs until Windows 98. With XP I can't run the code any more. Nor can I recompile my source code. I get an error headed "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" andf telling me:
    : "C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
    :
    : I get the same error message if I try to run Turbo.exe to recompile. Do I need a TP 4.0 compiler for XP (is there such a thing?) and if so where do I get one?
    :
    : Grateful for your help. Thanks/Rico
    :
    :
    :
    There's no such thing. You might want to try GNU Pascal, FreePascal or Delphi as a new compiler.
  • Phat NatPhat Nat Posts: 757Member
    : I wrote Pascal Code (crossword making software) in the late 80s using Turbo Pascal 4.0. It worked on upgraded PCs until Windows 98. With XP I can't run the code any more. Nor can I recompile my source code. I get an error headed "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" andf telling me:
    : "C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
    :
    : I get the same error message if I try to run Turbo.exe to recompile. Do I need a TP 4.0 compiler for XP (is there such a thing?) and if so where do I get one?
    :
    : Grateful for your help. Thanks/Rico

I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS under Windows XP with no problems and have for quite a while.

Phat Nat
  • Rico_PalatinoRico_Palatino Posts: 3Member
    : : I wrote Pascal Code (crossword making software) in the late 80s using Turbo Pascal 4.0. It worked on upgraded PCs until Windows 98. With XP I can't run the code any more. Nor can I recompile my source code. I get an error headed "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" andf telling me:
    : : "C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
    : :
    : : I get the same error message if I try to run Turbo.exe to recompile. Do I need a TP 4.0 compiler for XP (is there such a thing?) and if so where do I get one?
    : : Grateful for your help. Thanks/Rico
    :
    : I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS under Windows XP with no problems and have for quite a while.
    :
    : Phat Nat
    :

• Rico_PalatinoRico_Palatino Posts: 3Member
    : : : I wrote Pascal Code (crossword making software) in the late 80s using Turbo Pascal 4.0. It worked on upgraded PCs until Windows 98. With XP I can't run the code any more. Nor can I recompile my source code. I get an error headed "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" andf telling me:
    : : : "C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
    : : :
    : : : I get the same error message if I try to run Turbo.exe to recompile. Do I need a TP 4.0 compiler for XP (is there such a thing?) and if so where do I get one?
    : : : Grateful for your help. Thanks/Rico
    : : I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS under Windows XP with no problems and have for quite a while.
    : : Phat Nat
    : Thanks Phat Nat. I may try - meanwhile I have come across Dosbox - which emulates an old machine. It is a bit clumsy to set up - and not everything works, but I have got my crossword compiling software running on it. Thanks for your advice.

:

• Phat NatPhat Nat Posts: 757Member
    : : : : I wrote Pascal Code (crossword making software) in the late 80s using Turbo Pascal 4.0. It worked on upgraded PCs until Windows 98. With XP I can't run the code any more. Nor can I recompile my source code. I get an error headed "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" andf telling me:
    : : : : "C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
    : : : :
    : : : : I get the same error message if I try to run Turbo.exe to recompile. Do I need a TP 4.0 compiler for XP (is there such a thing?) and if so where do I get one?
    : : : :
    : : : : Grateful for your help. Thanks/Rico
    : : : I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS under Windows XP with no problems and have for quite a while.
    : : : Phat Nat
    :
    :Thanks Phat Nat. I may try - meanwhile I have come across Dosbox - which emulates an old machine. It is a bit clumsy to set up - and not everything works, but I have got my crossword compiling software running on it. Thanks for your advice.

Actually, I believe that TP5.5 works as well and it's available for free. I don't have the link, but if you search here (or probably most searchh engines) you should come up with the link. It's straight from the Borland site if I remember correctly.

Phat Nat