need help playing audio files remotely with VB program

I am a HW engineer with almost no SW experience. My SW engineer was let go recently. I am working on updating some VB code to automate my HW testing. I would like the code (running on my host system) to play audio files remotely on the system under test. The audio files are just *.bat files. Any help would be appreciated as I have very little programming knowledge.

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by BitByBit_Thor at 2007-1-3 8:11:34[/red][/b][hr]
    : I am a HW engineer with almost no SW experience. My SW engineer was let go recently. I am working on updating some VB code to automate my HW testing. I would like the code (running on my host system) to play audio files remotely on the system under test. The audio files are just *.bat files. Any help would be appreciated as I have very little programming knowledge.
    :
    : Thanks :)
    :

What do you mean with 'remotely'?

If you're talking about running Batch files under Windows (on the same computer as the program is running) use:

[code]
    Shell "C:Some dirMy sound.bat"
    [/code]
    Assuming ofcourse the *.bat files are really batch files and do not need to be opened with some other program?

EDIT: I reread your post and as I understand it, you want the program running on the host system to command a client to open a batch file?
    There is no 'native' VB way to do so, as it depends on how the client and host communicate.
    If you know of a way to do it with script files (batch, *.vbs) then you can use the Shell command I gave to run these.

Best Regards,
    Richard
  • : [b][red]This message was edited by BitByBit_Thor at 2007-1-3 8:11:34[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I am a HW engineer with almost no SW experience. My SW engineer was let go recently. I am working on updating some VB code to automate my HW testing. I would like the code (running on my host system) to play audio files remotely on the system under test. The audio files are just *.bat files. Any help would be appreciated as I have very little programming knowledge.
    : :
    : : Thanks :)
    : :
    :
    : What do you mean with 'remotely'?
    :
    : If you're talking about running Batch files under Windows (on the same computer as the program is running) use:
    :
    : [code]
    : Shell "C:Some dirMy sound.bat"
    : [/code]
    : Assuming ofcourse the *.bat files are really batch files and do not need to be opened with some other program?
    :
    : EDIT: I reread your post and as I understand it, you want the program running on the host system to command a client to open a batch file?
    : There is no 'native' VB way to do so, as it depends on how the client and host communicate.
    : If you know of a way to do it with script files (batch, *.vbs) then you can use the Shell command I gave to run these.
    :
    : Best Regards,
    : Richard
    :
    Basically I want my program to work in the same way the Windows Remote Desktop works where you can run an audio file on another system and it plays the audio on the client, not the host. But I want it so that a technician does not have to sit in front of the system and open each file like they would using remote desktop.

My program has to run on the host because it needs to interface with some test equipment.

I would be open to looking into a small program running on the client if needed. It would need to be something easy to install and run as this process would be repeated over and over on many different systems.
    Thanks
  • I have little experience in the subject, unfortunately.

However Visual Basic 6 comes with a WinSock control which allows for communication over a network.
    Look into it. What you could do is write a small client/server program to do the tasks you need.
    I've tried it once before and managed a chat to be sent over home LAN.
    Took me around 3-4 hours to program (with no earlier experience at the time).

Best Regards,
    Richard

• : I have little experience in the subject, unfortunately.
    :
    : However Visual Basic 6 comes with a WinSock control which allows for communication over a network.
    : Look into it. What you could do is write a small client/server program to do the tasks you need.
    : I've tried it once before and managed a chat to be sent over home LAN.
    : Took me around 3-4 hours to program (with no earlier experience at the time).
    :
    : Best Regards,
    : Richard
    :
    :
    Thanks... I'll give that a shot.