Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Using Data Wizard vs Manual (provider) Connections

jbassmanpjbassmanp Posts: 160Member
I have used both methods of connecting database to my projects and until recently would never have doubted the smoothness of the wizards work and ease of coding a program. Until recently, I and now starting to work on network version of the apps. It appears that I may have been better off manually doing the connections or at the very least mixing to two together. Anyone out there with any comments on these. I will be going into some detail specs. later.

Comments

• HackmanCHackmanC Posts: 441Member
    I use the approach of DataAccess, BusinnessRules, and Application, with this concept DataAccess is a series of Components which has only the DataAdapter configured with the stored procedures, without SqlConnection, BusinessRules has a SqlConnection which passthru to each DataAccess, so you can make a lot of DataAccess updates with only one transaction and, of course, can chech BusinessRules.

The Application that consumes the BusinessRules creates the DataSet and passes it to BusinessRules, BusinessRules updates a dataset which can be a lot of tables, calling the corresponding DataAccess.

Example:

Project DataSet
    -- DataSet001
    This dataset has two tables. (Table001, Table002).

Project DataAccess
    -- DataAccess001
    This has a DataAdapter for stored procedures for Table001 with a DataSset001 received from the Application.
    -- DataAccess002
    This has a DataAdapter for stored procedures for Table002...

Project BusinessRules
    -- BussinessRules001
    This has a SqlConnection and calls DataAccess001 and DataAccess002 with a DataSet001 received from the Application.

Project Application
    Form001
    Calls BusinessRules001 with a DataSet001

So, you can reuse any component, project, etc, in other applications, etc. for the DataAccess Components you still can use the Wizard and delete the SqlConnection after build.
    -----

: I have used both methods of connecting database to my projects and until recently would never have doubted the smoothness of the wizards work and ease of coding a program. Until recently, I and now starting to work on network version of the apps. It appears that I may have been better off manually doing the connections or at the very least mixing to two together. Anyone out there with any comments on these. I will be going into some detail specs. later.
    :
    :

[red]Good luck![/red]
    [blue]Hackman[/blue]