Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Asp.net web applications template

ruchika_ruruchika_ru Posts: 52Member
Hi

I am working on Visual Studio.net 2005 and want to create a web application using c#.net
But I cannot find the "ASP.NET web applications" template in the templates pane corresponding to the project types as "C#" in the New Projects window.

On checking, I found that an important windows component named IIS(Internet Information Services) was not installed on my system so I got it installed but still I can't see the required template in the new projects window.

Also to check if IIS was properly installed on my system, I typed "http://localhost/" on the address bar of internet explorer and found the following message -

You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the localhost home page.

You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
Internet Explorer

Any relevant information in this respect will be appreciated...
With regards
Ruchika
ruchika_ru@rediffmail.com

Comments

• iwilld0itiwilld0it Posts: 1,134Member
    In VS2005 when go to create a new website, go to
    the file menu and choose "New Website". There you will be able choose the language.

Also, with VS2005 IIS technically does not need to be installed. It has a personal web server built into it, so you essentially can save the web project anywhere and run it from that spot via VS2005.

: Hi
    :
    : I am working on Visual Studio.net 2005 and want to create a web application using c#.net
    : But I cannot find the "ASP.NET web applications" template in the templates pane corresponding to the project types as "C#" in the New Projects window.
    :
    : On checking, I found that an important windows component named IIS(Internet Information Services) was not installed on my system so I got it installed but still I can't see the required template in the new projects window.
    :
    : Also to check if IIS was properly installed on my system, I typed "http://localhost/" on the address bar of internet explorer and found the following message -
    :
    : You are not authorized to view this page
    : You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.
    :
    : --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    :
    : If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the localhost home page.
    :
    : You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.
    :
    :
    : HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    : Internet Explorer
    :
    :
    : Any relevant information in this respect will be appreciated...
    : With regards
    : Ruchika
    : ruchika_ru@rediffmail.com
    :
    :
    :
    :

• ruchika_ruruchika_ru Posts: 52Member
    Hi

Thanks a lot for your help....I could understand many things...but there are certain other questions that have popped up now!

Like -

1. Is selecting a "WebSite" template in VS2005 same as selecting an "ASP.NET WebApplication" template?

2. If the answer to the above question is yes, then correct me if I am wrong - but we get a "default form"(as we begin creating a new website in VS2005)named "default.aspx", we can see this in the solution explorer window. But why are'nt the rest of the default files(like - .vsdisco file, .info file etc.) visible like they used to be in VS2003?

These and a lot many other problems are faced by me after switching to VS2005 after working for a long time with VS2003.

So it'll be great if you could provide me with some link/documentation which could help me deal with the diffrences in VS2005 and VS2003.

I've searched the net but to no avail...as I couldnt find anything important.
    I'll be waiting for your response...

Thanking you in anticipation

With regards
    Ruchika

: In VS2005 when go to create a new website, go to
    : the file menu and choose "New Website". There you will be able choose the language.
    :
    : Also, with VS2005 IIS technically does not need to be installed. It has a personal web server built into it, so you essentially can save the web project anywhere and run it from that spot via VS2005.
    :
    : : Hi
    : :
    : : I am working on Visual Studio.net 2005 and want to create a web application using c#.net
    : : But I cannot find the "ASP.NET web applications" template in the templates pane corresponding to the project types as "C#" in the New Projects window.
    : : On checking, I found that an important windows component named IIS(Internet Information Services) was not installed on my system so I got it installed but still I can't see the required template in the new projects window.
    : : Also to check if IIS was properly installed on my system, I typed "http://localhost/" on the address bar of internet explorer and found the following message -
    : : You are not authorized to view this page
    : : You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.
    : : --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    : : If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the localhost home page.
    : : You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.
    : : HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    : : Internet Explorer
    : : Any relevant information in this respect will be appreciated...
    : : With regards
    : : Ruchika
    : : ruchika_ru@rediffmail.com
    :
    :

PS: Also please let know how to change the default layout in VS2005 to gridlayout so that the controls can be placed on the form as per my requirement.

Ruchika

The asp.net project model is drastically different in VS2005. Sometimes it feels unfortunate because we we're use to prior versions of Visual Studios. Like you I share the pain.

Anyways, VS2005 supports what is called project-less website projects. So you wont see your typical vbproj / csproj files etc ... The whole point is to make deployment as painless as possible for us I guess. The one neat thing is that you can create and run web project without IIS even being installed on the computer.

The other thing that is gone is grid-mode / flow-layout modes as you requested. The best you can do is emmulate it by hand. If you need to be able to absolute position a control, you must manually add the style sheet to the HTML / ASP.NET control, otherwise you will need to use HTML tables to control the layout.

Finally, the best source for information I can provide you is:

http://www.pdfchm.com/

Create an account here, login, and then download many e-books in pdf or chm format. There are alot of books on ASP.NET 2.0 and Visual Studios 2005. There are also alot of helpful short how-to videos here:

http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/default.aspx?tabid=63

Lemme know if I can answer anything else. I have been diving deep into asp.net 2.0, so I may be able to share my growing pains.
    Hi again!

This time I need to know that is there any control named "DataGrid" in the Standard tab inside the toolbox in an VS2005 for an ASP.net 2.0 website using c# exists or not?

Well...I found "GridView" there...but not "DataGrid". Is the control been changed/renamed?

Also the HTML file is not taking the header templates and footer templates for the repeater control...and shows the following error -
    Validation(XHTML 1.0 transitional):HeaderTemplate is not supported.

Can I be helped this time?

With regards
    Ruchika

The DataGrid control has been replaced by the GridView control (which is much more powerful.)

However, if you still like to use the DataGrid you have to add it to the toolbox:

1. Right click on toolbox w/ the web controls
    2. Click "Choose Items"
    3. Scroll down the list until you see DataGrid in System.Web.UI.WebControls
    4. Select it's checkbox and click "Ok"

This will add the icon for the DataGrid onto the toolbox.

As for the XHTML 1.0 transitional errors, you can ignore it. The VS2005 HTML parser is not smart enough to realize that HeaderTemplate is not a regular HTML tag. When the web page renders, that HeaderTemplate tag disappears anyways.

: Hi again!
    :
    : This time I need to know that is there any control named "DataGrid" in the Standard tab inside the toolbox in an VS2005 for an ASP.net 2.0 website using c# exists or not?
    :
    : Well...I found "GridView" there...but not "DataGrid". Is the control been changed/renamed?
    :
    : Also the HTML file is not taking the header templates and footer templates for the repeater control...and shows the following error -
    : Validation(XHTML 1.0 transitional):HeaderTemplate is not supported.
    :
    : Can I be helped this time?
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

Hey thanks that could solve the problem!

Now what if I had to make a web page in which I have to place the controls at appropriate places on the .aspx

As the default layout does not allow me to move controls as per my requirement on the .aspx file.

With regards
    Ruchika

: The DataGrid control has been replaced by the GridView control (which is much more powerful.)
    :
    : However, if you still like to use the DataGrid you have to add it to the toolbox:
    :
    : 1. Right click on toolbox w/ the web controls
    : 2. Click "Choose Items"
    : 3. Scroll down the list until you see DataGrid in System.Web.UI.WebControls
    : 4. Select it's checkbox and click "Ok"
    :
    : This will add the icon for the DataGrid onto the toolbox.
    :
    : As for the XHTML 1.0 transitional errors, you can ignore it. The VS2005 HTML parser is not smart enough to realize that HeaderTemplate is not a regular HTML tag. When the web page renders, that HeaderTemplate tag disappears anyways.
    :
    : : Hi again!
    : : This time I need to know that is there any control named "DataGrid" in the Standard tab inside the toolbox in an VS2005 for an ASP.net 2.0 website using c# exists or not?
    : : Well...I found "GridView" there...but not "DataGrid". Is the control been changed/renamed?
    : : Also the HTML file is not taking the header templates and footer templates for the repeater control...and shows the following error -
    : : Validation(XHTML 1.0 transitional):HeaderTemplate is not supported.
    : : Can I be helped this time?
    :
    :

There are two things you can do:

a. Create HTML table and drag controls into the various table cells. Note this is the way you will want go because all web browsers will comprehend.

b. Use HTML div tags and then add style attributes like so:

[code]

Content here

[/code]

Once you add this style attribute in VS2005, it will then let u drag and drop the content around the designer.

Cheers

: Hey thanks that could solve the problem!
    :
    : Now what if I had to make a web page in which I have to place the controls at appropriate places on the .aspx
    :
    : As the default layout does not allow me to move controls as per my requirement on the .aspx file.
    :
    :
    : : The DataGrid control has been replaced by the GridView control (which is much more powerful.)
    : : However, if you still like to use the DataGrid you have to add it to the toolbox:
    : : 1. Right click on toolbox w/ the web controls
    : : 2. Click "Choose Items"
    : : 3. Scroll down the list until you see DataGrid in System.Web.UI.WebControls
    : : 4. Select it's checkbox and click "Ok"
    : : This will add the icon for the DataGrid onto the toolbox.
    : : As for the XHTML 1.0 transitional errors, you can ignore it. The VS2005 HTML parser is not smart enough to realize that HeaderTemplate is not a regular HTML tag. When the web page renders, that HeaderTemplate tag disappears anyways.
    : : : Hi again!
    : : :
    : : : This time I need to know that is there any control named "DataGrid" in the Standard tab inside the toolbox in an VS2005 for an ASP.net 2.0 website using c# exists or not?
    : : : Well...I found "GridView" there...but not "DataGrid". Is the control been changed/renamed?
    : : : Also the HTML file is not taking the header templates and footer templates for the repeater control...and shows the following error -
    : : : Validation(XHTML 1.0 transitional):HeaderTemplate is not supported.
    : : : Can I be helped this time?
    : : : With regards
    : : : Ruchika
    :
    :
    :
    :

Hi... thanks for the help...:-)

I have a new doubt now...

I can't find a template to create a web custom control in asp.net using c#.net in Visual studio 2005, Any suggestions this time?

Thanking you in anticipation

With regards
    Ruchika

: There are two things you can do:
    :
    : a. Create HTML table and drag controls into the various table cells. Note this is the way you will want go because all web browsers will comprehend.
    :
    : b. Use HTML div tags and then add style attributes like so:
    :
    : [code]
    :

: Content here
    :

: [/code]
    :
    : Once you add this style attribute in VS2005, it will then let u drag and drop the content around the designer.
    :
    : Cheers
    :
    : : Hey thanks that could solve the problem!
    : : Now what if I had to make a web page in which I have to place the controls at appropriate places on the .aspx
    : : As the default layout does not allow me to move controls as per my requirement on the .aspx file.
    : : : The DataGrid control has been replaced by the GridView control (which is much more powerful.)
    : : : However, if you still like to use the DataGrid you have to add it to the toolbox:
    : : : 1. Right click on toolbox w/ the web controls
    : : : 2. Click "Choose Items"
    : : : 3. Scroll down the list until you see DataGrid in System.Web.UI.WebControls
    : : : 4. Select it's checkbox and click "Ok"
    : : : This will add the icon for the DataGrid onto the toolbox.
    : : : As for the XHTML 1.0 transitional errors, you can ignore it. The VS2005 HTML parser is not smart enough to realize that HeaderTemplate is not a regular HTML tag. When the web page renders, that HeaderTemplate tag disappears anyways.
    : : : : Hi again!
    : : : :
    : : : : This time I need to know that is there any control named "DataGrid" in the Standard tab inside the toolbox in an VS2005 for an ASP.net 2.0 website using c# exists or not?
    : : : : Well...I found "GridView" there...but not "DataGrid". Is the control been changed/renamed?
    : : : : Also the HTML file is not taking the header templates and footer templates for the repeater control...and shows the following error -
    : : : : Validation(XHTML 1.0 transitional):HeaderTemplate is not supported.
    : : : : Can I be helped this time?
    : : : : With regards
    : : : : Ruchika