Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

ERROR: Cannot set column 'cName'. The value...

NasfmaNasfma Posts: 9Member
[b][red]This message was edited by Nasfma at 2006-12-17 8:16:36[/red][/b][hr]
[b][red]This message was edited by Nasfma at 2006-12-17 8:15:32[/red][/b][hr]
Hi,
In order to explore DBMS using C#, I started with a very small DVD Collection databse. There is three relational tables: The [italic]Listings[/italic] table cointains Ratings, the [italic]DVDCollection[/italic] table has Title, Year etc, and the [italic]Sequel[/italic] table if any.

Design my Form, Lookup Tables and all that is required to run a successful program. But on running my DVDs program return an error message: [b]Cannot set column 'Title'. The value violates the MaxLength limit of this column.[/b] which is an ArgumentException (was unhandled) argument/error as diplayed.

That is one the Lookup Tables doesn't work well, followed the local and online help word to word several days still nothing. A Lookup Table suppose to allow you/clients to choose a more meaning data from the form, instead of numbers or symbols that doesn't make sense, thus the beauty of Relational Table.

I hope the questions are clear?

Regards,

Comments

• iwilld0itiwilld0it Posts: 1,134Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by iwilld0it at 2006-12-20 11:57:51[/red][/b][hr]
    I am not sure what database u are using ... if you are using sql server go the table w/ the column in question and just change the size if it is a character field.

By default, when u add a varchar or char column it defaults the max length or size to 50 characters, You can set that to a higher number.

The same idea holds true in Access database, accept i think the column data type is called text. In access the default max text size is also 50, which also can be increased.

Basically this stems from the fact that u are trying to assign a string to a column that is larger than the defined capacity for the column. It throws an exception rather than blindly truncating your text.

: [b][red]This message was edited by Nasfma at 2006-12-17 8:16:36[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by Nasfma at 2006-12-17 8:15:32[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi,
    : In order to explore DBMS using C#, I started with a very small DVD Collection databse. There is three relational tables: The [italic]Listings[/italic] table cointains Ratings, the [italic]DVDCollection[/italic] table has Title, Year etc, and the [italic]Sequel[/italic] table if any.
    :
    : Design my Form, Lookup Tables and all that is required to run a successful program. But on running my DVDs program return an error message: [b]Cannot set column 'Title'. The value violates the MaxLength limit of this column.[/b] which is an ArgumentException (was unhandled) argument/error as diplayed.
    :
    : That is one the Lookup Tables doesn't work well, followed the local and online help word to word several days still nothing. A Lookup Table suppose to allow you/clients to choose a more meaning data from the form, instead of numbers or symbols that doesn't make sense, thus the beauty of Relational Table.
    :
    : I hope the questions are clear?
    :
    : Regards,
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

• NasfmaNasfma Posts: 9Member
    Thanks a lot, I'll try ur idea. But why don't the Windows Form work in an ordinary situation? Ok I'm trying to use the Windows Form for data enteries in a basic Table structure of Account and Account Type fields but fails to add data. What is happenning?