Confused with Open Source Stuffs T_T - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Confused with Open Source Stuffs T_T

I'm new to this Open Source things...

1.) I made the program, then someone came at get my program, and RENAMED the name of my program, and redistribute it saying that its HIS work. Do I have any protection from these?

2.) What are these licenses (like the GPL)? What's the difference between giving the program with the source code, and saying, "Hey! I got a program for all of you guys, you change, edit, or do whatever you want", and the difference between having a license?

3.) What do I need to do to obtain a license? (like GPL)

Comments

• IDKIDK Posts: 1,784Member
    : I'm new to this Open Source things...
    :
    : 1.) I made the program, then someone came at get my program, and RENAMED the name of my program, and redistribute it saying that its HIS work. Do I have any protection from these?
    :
    : 2.) What are these licenses (like the GPL)? What's the difference between giving the program with the source code, and saying, "Hey! I got a program for all of you guys, you change, edit, or do whatever you want", and the difference between having a license?
    :
    : 3.) What do I need to do to obtain a license? (like GPL)
    :

I'm far from an expert, but to answear number 2, it's really the same thing, except that they cannot do like in number 1 and some other things listed in the license.

Search for GPL on the web and you'll find it.

Happy coding wishes
    the one and only
    [b]Niklas Ulvinge[/b] [white]aka [b]IDK[/b][/white]

• pmcastillopmcastillo Posts: 140Member
    :
    : I'm far from an expert, but to answear number 2, it's really the same thing, except that they cannot do like in number 1 and some other things listed in the license.
    :
    : Search for GPL on the web and you'll find it.
    :
    : Happy coding wishes
    : the one and only
    : [b]Niklas Ulvinge[/b] [white]aka [b]IDK[/b][/white]
    :
    :

Ahhhh... so if I have that license, no one can just "barge" into my source code and steal it and consider as theirs...

Thanks man! ^_^