Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Drag and Drop to Application

Hi all

Bit of a obscure problem this one for that I apologise.

I am currently investigating developing a system of which there is a requirement for people using my application to search for files providing a name ( the easy part ) then having once been given a list of files actually drag the file to an off the shelf application.

My first idea for this was surely Windows provide some form coding this? IE. Using a IDE such as Visual Studio would this be easy to do? Has anyone had to do something like this before?

Or can anyone recommend an environment ? or Windows Objects that I could use?

Any help would be great

Thanks everyone

Eggsy

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
    : Hi all
    :
    : Bit of a obscure problem this one for that I apologise.
    :
    : I am currently investigating developing a system of which there is a requirement for people using my application to search for files providing a name ( the easy part ) then having once been given a list of files actually drag the file to an off the shelf application.
    :
    : My first idea for this was surely Windows provide some form coding this? IE. Using a IDE such as Visual Studio would this be easy to do? Has anyone had to do something like this before?
    :
    : Or can anyone recommend an environment ? or Windows Objects that I could use?
    :
    :
    : Any help would be great
    :
    : Thanks everyone
    :
    : Eggsy
    :
    [blue]Your window procedure should respond to WM_DROPFILES message:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/messages/wm_dropfiles.asp
    [/blue]
  • anthrax11anthrax11 Member Posts: 511
    : : Hi all
    : :
    : : Bit of a obscure problem this one for that I apologise.
    : : I am currently investigating developing a system of which there is a requirement for people using my application to search for files providing a name ( the easy part ) then having once been given a list of files actually drag the file to an off the shelf application.
    : : My first idea for this was surely Windows provide some form coding this? IE. Using a IDE such as Visual Studio would this be easy to do? Has anyone had to do something like this before?
    : : Or can anyone recommend an environment ? or Windows Objects that I could use?
    : : Any help would be great
    : : Thanks everyone
    : : Eggsy
    : [blue]Your window procedure should respond to WM_DROPFILES message:
    :
    : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/messages/wm_dropfiles.asp
    : [/blue]
    :
    [green]
    Don`t forget to use DragAcceptFiles to enable receiving files for the window, otherwise you won`t get the WM_DROPFILES message. [/green]
  • eggsyeggsy Member Posts: 40
    : : : Hi all
    : : :
    : : : Bit of a obscure problem this one for that I apologise.
    : : : I am currently investigating developing a system of which there is a requirement for people using my application to search for files providing a name ( the easy part ) then having once been given a list of files actually drag the file to an off the shelf application.
    : : : My first idea for this was surely Windows provide some form coding this? IE. Using a IDE such as Visual Studio would this be easy to do? Has anyone had to do something like this before?
    : : : Or can anyone recommend an environment ? or Windows Objects that I could use?
    : : : Any help would be great
    : : : Thanks everyone
    : : : Eggsy
    : : [blue]Your window procedure should respond to WM_DROPFILES message:
    : : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/messages/wm_dropfiles.asp
    : : [/blue]
    : [green]
    : Don`t forget to use DragAcceptFiles to enable receiving files for the window, otherwise you won`t get the WM_DROPFILES message. [/green]
    :

Thanks for the help guys will have a read up on the pages listed!

• eggsyeggsy Member Posts: 40
    Does anyone know if you can get the COM Win 32 framework and use it within Visual Studio Express?