Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Active hosts

OanyOany Member Posts: 2
Hello,

I want to create an aplication about active hosts(I will read the list of the hosts from a configuration file).
The problem is to detect the situations when a host goes from active to inactive. I am thinking to use ping command, but it seems to be a problem when exists a firewall.

Any ideas about anything else I can use instead of ping ?

Thanks!

Comments

• triplefaulttriplefault Member Posts: 3
    : Hello,
    :
    : I want to create an aplication about active hosts(I will read the list of the hosts from a configuration file).
    : The problem is to detect the situations when a host goes from active to inactive. I am thinking to use ping command, but it seems to be a problem when exists a firewall.
    :
    : Any ideas about anything else I can use instead of ping ?
    :
    : Thanks!
    :

For clarification, lets call the computer from which you want to monitor other computers "The Server" and the computers you want to monitor "The Clients".

Instead of pinging each Client from The Server you could do it the other way around, have each Client tell The Server that it is up.

The Server should have a list of all The Clients whom it has to monitor. This list should be updated with a time stamp each time a Client tells The Server it is up.

Every now and then The Server should run through this list and check for dead Clients. If a time stamp is older than a certain limit, the associated Client must be dead.

You didn't tell *how* you want to implement this but it could be done in several ways, like scripting (bash, perl, php, ...) or programming (java, c, ...).
  • OanyOany Member Posts: 2
    : : Hello,
    : :
    : : I want to create an aplication about active hosts(I will read the list of the hosts from a configuration file).
    : : The problem is to detect the situations when a host goes from active to inactive. I am thinking to use ping command, but it seems to be a problem when exists a firewall.
    : : Any ideas about anything else I can use instead of ping ?
    : : Thanks!
    :
    : For clarification, lets call the computer from which you want to monitor other computers "The Server" and the computers you want to monitor "The Clients".
    :
    : Instead of pinging each Client from The Server you could do it the other way around, have each Client tell The Server that it is up.
    :
    : The Server should have a list of all The Clients whom it has to monitor. This list should be updated with a time stamp each time a Client tells The Server it is up.
    :
    : Every now and then The Server should run through this list and check for dead Clients. If a time stamp is older than a certain limit, the associated Client must be dead.
    :
    : You didn't tell *how* you want to implement this but it could be done in several ways, like scripting (bash, perl, php, ...) or programming (java, c, ...).
    :

Thanks for answering me!
    The program I want to create is a C program.
    It seems to be a problem, I don't know how I could make the Clients tell the server that they are active ( just because I don't have the acces to the Clients). I don't understand how I can make a computer(a Client) that belongs to another person tell my pc that it is active.
  • triplefaulttriplefault Member Posts: 3
    [italic]Thanks for answering me![/italic]

You're welcome.

[italic]The program I want to create is a C program.
    It seems to be a problem, I don't know how I could make the Clients tell the server that they are active ( just because I don't have the acces to the Clients). I don't understand how I can make a computer(a Client) that belongs to another person tell my pc that it is active.[/italic]

If you do not have access to the other computers and they do not answear to connections from the outside (ping, ftp, http, etc..) there is no way to if The Clients are up/active, sorry!

Could you tell some more about the details of the application you are implementing?