Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Difference between embedded linux and wince or VxWorks

Hi,

Can somebody explain me the differences between the embedded linux and win ce or VX works (from the application developer point of view)?

Mikali

Comments

• SamuelrSamuelr Posts: 3Member
    : Hi,
    :
    : Can somebody explain me the differences between the embedded linux and win ce or VX works (from the application developer point of view)?
    :
    : Mikali
    :

Hello Mikali,

Its real simple, WinCE is microsoft's mobile version for windows, where embedded linux is the mobile version of linux and VX Works is a real-time OS, where from application point of view, VX works is for critical systems like mdeical equipments aircrafts and such. WinCE for mobile equipments and embedded linux for network stuff e.g. routers.
  • MikaliMikali Posts: 4Member
    : : Hi,
    : :
    : : Can somebody explain me the differences between the embedded linux and win ce or VX works (from the application developer point of view)?
    : : Mikali
    :
    :
    : Hello Mikali,
    :
    : Its real simple, WinCE is microsoft's mobile version for windows, where embedded linux is the mobile version of linux and VX Works is a real-time OS, where from application point of view, VX works is for critical systems like mdeical equipments aircrafts and such. WinCE for mobile equipments and embedded linux for network stuff e.g. routers.
    :

Samuels,

As far as a programmer is concerned,does these differ a lot.I mean to say are there a lot of differences in implement ing the RTOS concepts or they are almost the same way.

Mikali

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    : : : Hi,
    : : :
    : : : Can somebody explain me the differences between the embedded linux and win ce or VX works (from the application developer point of view)?
    : : : Mikali
    : : Hello Mikali,
    : : Its real simple, WinCE is microsoft's mobile version for windows, where embedded linux is the mobile version of linux and VX Works is a real-time OS, where from application point of view, VX works is for critical systems like mdeical equipments aircrafts and such. WinCE for mobile equipments and embedded linux for network stuff e.g. routers.
    :
    : Samuels,
    :
    : As far as a programmer is concerned,does these differ a lot.I mean to say are there a lot of differences in implement ing the RTOS concepts or they are almost the same way.
    :
    : Mikali
    :
    :

I haven't used any of them, but they are all very different, yes. As mentioned, VxWorks is a RTOS and can be used in serious applications, while the other two are not and are ment to be used for toys/consumer electronics/hobby things. Win CE is very similar to Win32 even though it has a different kernel, they are more or less using the same API.
  • cloogeclooge Posts: 1Member
    There is good bit of difference. If you need a real time - scheduleable OS VxWorks/pSos or QNX is your OS.

WinCe, gives you a lot more out of the box in terms of richer functionality. You have to do a lot less work here.... but you dont get a real time Operating system. WinCe also provides a lot of GUI controls that are not available out of the box with VxWorks. MS provides so much more functionality with this.

When I was working with VxWorks, it was very hard to debug applications, and get support. It was a nightmare, but this was 4 yrs ago... I hope they improved. The IDE the shipped was slow... and the debug image would take forever to load, and then connect to the JTag over lan to load 16mb image took me 45 mins at an average.

: : : : Hi,
    : : : :
    : : : : Can somebody explain me the differences between the embedded linux and win ce or VX works (from the application developer point of view)?
    : : : : Mikali
    : : : Hello Mikali,
    : : : Its real simple, WinCE is microsoft's mobile version for windows, where embedded linux is the mobile version of linux and VX Works is a real-time OS, where from application point of view, VX works is for critical systems like mdeical equipments aircrafts and such. WinCE for mobile equipments and embedded linux for network stuff e.g. routers.
    : : Samuels,
    : : As far as a programmer is concerned,does these differ a lot.I mean to say are there a lot of differences in implement ing the RTOS concepts or they are almost the same way.
    : : Mikali
    :
    :
    : I haven't used any of them, but they are all very different, yes. As mentioned, VxWorks is a RTOS and can be used in serious applications, while the other two are not and are ment to be used for toys/consumer electronics/hobby things. Win CE is very similar to Win32 even though it has a different kernel, they are more or less using the same API.
    :