Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Programming MDI in C++

SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
Alright can anybody point me to some examples or thorough documentation on creating and manipulating MDI windows in C++? I cannot find any documentation on that specific subject, although the MSDN has a ton of information on doing so in Basic. I need to create a simple parent window (done, working) with five or six MDI windows contained within for tabbing between different pages. Each page will have a drop-down menu, button, or text control on it.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
    [b][red]This message was edited by AsmGuru62 at 2006-12-3 4:17:48[/red][/b][hr]
    : Alright can anybody point me to some examples or thorough documentation on creating and manipulating MDI windows in C++? I cannot find any documentation on that specific subject, although the MSDN has a ton of information on doing so in Basic. I need to create a simple parent window (done, working) with five or six MDI windows contained within for tabbing between different pages. Each page will have a drop-down menu, button, or text control on it.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    [blue]So, is it tabs or MDI? Because, they are different things. However, they both serve same purpose - switch between areas of work. Also, do you use MFC? MFC has MDI built in.[/blue]

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    I don't use anything at this point. I basically want a parent window that contains tabs at the top of the client area that are named different things, and when the user clicks on one, it opens that tab like an entire new client area with new controls and all.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
    : I don't use anything at this point. I basically want a parent window that contains tabs at the top of the client area that are named different things, and when the user clicks on one, it opens that tab like an entire new client area with new controls and all.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :
    [blue]Same model I use for my IDE - I do not like MDI too much...

You can have standard Win32 Tab Control created dynamically and sized on the all client area of the frame. Or you can create your own tabs, but that will be a little time conuming, because you basically need to write your own tab control - with all the mouse clicks and drawings of tabs and activating, etc.

Check here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/indivcontrol.asp

and if you want to code everything yourself, then lets talk on my e-mail: asmguru62@hotmail.com[/blue]