IEEE binary floating point data endianness? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

IEEE binary floating point data endianness?

kencclarkkencclark Posts: 1Member
I have a binary file of floating point data which was created by a program running on an Intel x86 machine, and I need to read it by a program running on a PowerPC machine. Do I have to do little endian to big endian byte swapping? I've read through (briefly) the IEEE Standary for Binary Floating Point Arithmetic, and I can't find any reference to endianness in the binary representation of floating point data...

Comments

• tsagldtsagld Posts: 621Member
    : I have a binary file of floating point data which was created by a program running on an Intel x86 machine, and I need to read it by a program running on a PowerPC machine. Do I have to do little endian to big endian byte swapping? I've read through (briefly) the IEEE Standary for Binary Floating Point Arithmetic, and I can't find any reference to endianness in the binary representation of floating point data...
    :
    As far as I know, floating point numbers do not have different formats across processors.

Greets,
    Eric Goldstein
    http://www.gvh-maatwerk.nl