Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Object-oriented databases

Hi!
I study IT and am very interested in OOPD. This semester we have to submit a course thesis and my topic is:

Design of an OODBMS

The problem is that I know nothing about object-oriented data model, even at conceptual level. I searched Google and Yahoo for this but found nothing appropriate - something that would explain the ground. Yes, I found "Introduction to Object-Oriented Databases" but unfortunately it costs 55$ and I can't afford it in my country :(

Please, can anyone help me and provide some links to free resources on OODBMS? I know that it's a relatively new branch in database theory and there's not so much info on it as on relational model, but that's why your help is very needed...

Thank you very much in advance!!!

Comments

• DrMartenDrMarten Posts: 748Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by DrMarten at 2007-1-28 14:49:53[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi!
    : I study IT and am very interested in OOPD. This semester we have to submit a course thesis and my topic is:
    :
    : Design of an OODBMS
    :
    : The problem is that I know nothing about object-oriented data model, even at conceptual level. I searched Google and Yahoo for this but found nothing appropriate - something that would explain the ground. Yes, I found "Introduction to Object-Oriented Databases" but unfortunately it costs 55$ and I can't afford it in my country :(
    :
    : Please, can anyone help me and provide some links to free resources on OODBMS? I know that it's a relatively new branch in database theory and there's not so much info on it as on relational model, but that's why your help is very needed...
    :
    : Thank you very much in advance!!!

Hi,

I've touched on OOP in my course and if you think about, most persons can be considered to be "an object" from a data point of view.

I.E. FirstName, SurName, Address1, Address2, Country, PostCode or ZipCode, TelePhone Number, Email address etcetera.

Where each object's chharacteristics are listed in a table.

Now think of an object that is not a mammal or any animal.>>

E.G. A mobile phone; here are a few characteristics i can think of.>>

Manufacturer,
    Model Number,
    Colour,
    TriBand?,
    Standy time,
    GPRS,
    WAP

etc. Get the idea?
    If you have/get Visual Studio Pro 2005 then each OBJECT could be defiined within a CLASS or a STRUCTURE and writing a OODBMS would be possible with this and many other database packages.

I'm not a Microsoft employee by the way so i'm not recommending Visual Studio Professional 2005. It is just that have it courtesy of Microsoft for free as they make it available to university computer course students like myself.

Google returns around 355 million results alone.
    See.>>
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=database+application&btnG=Search&meta=

Regards,

Dr M.

• NasfmaNasfma Posts: 9Member
    i'm not recommending Visual Studio Professional 2005 says Dr. M. Why not then? Database Design and Implementation consitute 70% of Business Solutions now-a-days, right? Than actual programming. Thus OODMS will be very interesting to use and with what tools then do you suggest?

[b][red]This message was edited by DrMarten at 2006-12-15 10:59:23[/red][/b][hr]
    : i'm not recommending Visual Studio Professional 2005 says Dr. M. Why not then? Database Design and Implementation consitute 70% of Business Solutions now-a-days, right? Than actual programming. Thus OODMS will be very interesting to use and with what tools then do you suggest?
    :
    :

Hi,

The full Visual Studio Professional 2005 is an expensive package for a lot of people and a bit of a mindfield for a lot of people to use.

Furthermore there are probably other cheaper or FREE opensource packages that can create an OODBMS package.

Microsoft don't need recommendations for their packages either, do they? Bill Gates and Co. are rich enough. I'm trying to encourage use of other packages too.

I'm not slagging the VS Pro 2005 package or Microsoft off other than i hate the MONOPOLY they have in the software industry and that EVERY version of WINDOWS has loads of security holes in it, even the latest WINDOWS VISTA!! A knowledgeable hacker can quite easily compromise an internet connected PC, need i say more?

Unfortunately for most of the world we have to "put up with" this MONOPOLY and the might of Microsoft. I'm all for encouraging the use of alternative systems like LINUX etcetera.

Without trying to sound like i am being "very anti-Microsoft", which i'm not, i just like to keep an open mind to alternatives.

Finally a friend had a database driven web-site installed, registered and up-and running with an open-source CMS in under 40 minutes with a LINUX system.

It would be hard to do this as quick on any WINDOWS based system.

Enough said?

Regards,

Dr M.

P.S. [b][red]"Than actual programming"[/red][/b]?

Well to answer that part i'd somewhat disagree ( 70% is a fair estimate though ) as some commercial database driven web-sites have some programming behind them with ASP.Net etcetera. Another Microsoft idea. :-|

I'm not suggesting any other tools as i'm far too busy at the moment with my university studies and work, especially at this time of year.

P.P.S. You could create an OODBMS with the FREE version of VB.Net or any of the EXPRESS programming language packages provided you know enough about file handling, CLASSES etcetera, like i do. :-)
    I haven't the time to write a custom SQL-database-ObjectOrientated package at the moment though....but it's an idea!! ;-)

Get them here.>>
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

[b][blue]There you go, i'm not completely anti-Microsoft!![/blue][/b]

• NasfmaNasfma Posts: 9Member
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for the quick and positive response. Good luck to your undertakings and a bright future.

Now, the secret to OODBMS is not in the tools but the General Concepts and Methods, right? Thus what we really need is an excellent book on OODBMS which you promised ;-)

Mr Anders Heljsberg has given us the C# Language (I wish he is still with Borland) and you the 'a custom' [b]SQL-database-ObjectOrientated package[/b]

My good friend,

Best regards,

Hi,

I can't see any mention of a promised book in this thread.

Regards,

Dr M.

• OpenEdgeOpenEdge Posts: 3Member
    Sat on my server is the db.
    I have my application installed on the workstations.
    How would I make the application software access the db?? ODBC is the answer. Thought: Wouldn't it be good to have just a single entity. No need for all this ODBC nonesense, something like VB and Access combined, where you only need a single instance / installation.
    Oh wait what is this URL www.progress.com that's right a product available that will do just that.
    Wait a minute, I wish to have my db on the internet (head scratchin). The product has evolved to do just that. I now require www.openedge.com
    : Hi,
    :
    : Thanks a lot for the quick and positive response. Good luck to your undertakings and a bright future.
    :
    : Now, the secret to OODBMS is not in the tools but the General Concepts and Methods, right? Thus what we really need is an excellent book on OODBMS which you promised ;-)
    :
    : Mr Anders Heljsberg has given us the C# Language (I wish he is still with Borland) and you the 'a custom' [b]SQL-database-ObjectOrientated package[/b]
    :
    : My good friend,
    :
    : Best regards,
    :
    :

Hi nasfma,

I said i'm only "thinking of doing an SQL-database-Object-Orientated" package, which is quite different to giving you such a program.

You keep mentioning a book. What book?

Regards,

Dr M.