Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Counting pulses from reed switch or hall effect switch

vidantevidante Member Posts: 3
Hi there,

I am really need some helps in my project in Visual basic 6.
I am trying to create small program to be able to count pulses coming from reed switch or hall effect switch.
How do I write the program, and where would the pulses interfacing with the computer ? serial port? parallel port? or USB port?

The program will calculate the pulses and then change it into odometer in kilometer.

I tried, but now i feel that killing myself is better then finishing my project.

Would you help me? Pleeeeaaaase.....

Thanks
Best Regards,
Vidante

Comments

• rickratrickrat Member Posts: 55
    : Hi there,
    :
    : I am really need some helps in my project in Visual basic 6.
    : I am trying to create small program to be able to count pulses coming from reed switch or hall effect switch.
    : How do I write the program, and where would the pulses interfacing with the computer ? serial port? parallel port? or USB port?
    :
    : The program will calculate the pulses and then change it into odometer in kilometer.
    :
    : I tried, but now i feel that killing myself is better then finishing my project.
    :
    : Would you help me? Pleeeeaaaase.....
    :
    : Thanks
    : Best Regards,
    : Vidante
    :

This sounds like a really cool program to write. A few years ago, I interfaced a circuit I had made via the parallel port. That was by far the easiest way out of RS232 (serial), parallel or usb. I would recommend doing research on vb parallel port programming. Then, once you get that, you'll be able to capture the clicks using a timer or while loop.

I know on a parallel port, pins 18-25 are all ground and you'll want to use pins 2-10... i think.
  • rickratrickrat Member Posts: 55
    : Hi there,
    :
    : I am really need some helps in my project in Visual basic 6.
    : I am trying to create small program to be able to count pulses coming from reed switch or hall effect switch.
    : How do I write the program, and where would the pulses interfacing with the computer ? serial port? parallel port? or USB port?
    :
    : The program will calculate the pulses and then change it into odometer in kilometer.
    :
    : I tried, but now i feel that killing myself is better then finishing my project.
    :
    : Would you help me? Pleeeeaaaase.....
    :
    : Thanks
    : Best Regards,
    : Vidante
    :

this site was on another thread: http://www.geekhideout.com/iodll.shtml, might help out
  • vidantevidante Member Posts: 3
    : : Hi there,
    : :
    : : I am really need some helps in my project in Visual basic 6.
    : : I am trying to create small program to be able to count pulses coming from reed switch or hall effect switch.
    : : How do I write the program, and where would the pulses interfacing with the computer ? serial port? parallel port? or USB port?
    : : The program will calculate the pulses and then change it into odometer in kilometer.
    : : I tried, but now i feel that killing myself is better then finishing my project.
    : : Would you help me? Pleeeeaaaase.....
    : : Thanks
    : : Best Regards,
    : : Vidante
    :
    :
    :
    : this site was on another thread: http://www.geekhideout.com/iodll.shtml, might help out
    :

• vidantevidante Member Posts: 3
    : : : Hi there,
    : : :
    : : : I am really need some helps in my project in Visual basic 6.
    : : : I am trying to create small program to be able to count pulses coming from reed switch or hall effect switch.
    : : : How do I write the program, and where would the pulses interfacing with the computer ? serial port? parallel port? or USB port?
    : : : The program will calculate the pulses and then change it into odometer in kilometer.
    : : : I tried, but now i feel that killing myself is better then finishing my project.
    : : : Would you help me? Pleeeeaaaase.....
    : : : Thanks
    : : : Best Regards,
    : : : Vidante
    : : this site was on another thread: http://www.geekhideout.com/iodll.shtml, might help out
    :
    :

Oke... i'll try it.
    But, since i am new to programming, a little example would help me a lot...
    Thanks