Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

how can i create a shell n execute commands on it!!!urgent!!!

hi,i wanted to know how do i create a shell n code commands such as cp,mv,etc such that the shell i have created is able to accept the commands i have coded.......plz..let me know the method to code comands.......hope to get an answer soon......thanks for readin my message....bye.

Comments

• nugentnugent Member Posts: 87

What? do you want to actually write your own shell? and by shell, do you mean x-term (or Terminal / konsole) or bash (sh / csh / etc)?

------
    nugent

• sandhya shanmusandhya shanmu Member Posts: 1
    :
    : What? do you want to actually write your own shell? and by shell, do you mean x-term (or Terminal / konsole) or bash (sh / csh / etc)?
    :
    :
    :
    : ------
    : nugent
    :
    :
    : hey ,even iam looking for the same project so if get any info abt it,pls let me know
    .........sandhya.........
    :

• nugentnugent Member Posts: 87
    if you want to write a shell (a command interpreter such as bash) you need to know about process, signal handling, job control, redirection and terminal control (you should find lots of info on these in any decent Linux / UNIX programming book). Here's a couple of good books to check out (they should be available from amazon or any university library):

"UNIX System Programming: Communication, Concurrency and Threads" by Kay Robbins and Steven Robbins, Chapter 11: Project - Cracking Shells

"Advanced Programming In The UNIX Environment", 2nd Edition, by W. Richards Stevens and Stephen A Rago

if you want to write a terminal (x-term / konsole / etc) you should look into vte from the gnome project or the source code from x-term or any other terminal.

------
    nugent