What is a vector? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

What is a vector?

bluj91bluj91 Posts: 133Member
Hello, I was wondering, what is the operators <> used for in standard C++. I ask this because I wasn't aware that such an operator existed outside that visual C++, where it is used to declare an array. Futhermore, what is a vector? You see there's gaps in what I know of C++ due to simply migrated from C. Rather than studying the language as a whole.

Cheers

Comments

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    : Hello, I was wondering, what is the operators <> used for in standard C++. I ask this because I wasn't aware that such an operator existed outside that visual C++, where it is used to declare an array. Futhermore, what is a vector? You see there's gaps in what I know of C++ due to simply migrated from C. Rather than studying the language as a whole.
    :
    : Cheers
    :

"Vector" is probably the most vauge term used in programming...
    In C++, vector is a standard container class for arrays. <> is not an operator but the syntax used for templates:

vector x; // create a vector for integers.

• bilderbikkelbilderbikkel Posts: 754Member
    : Hello, I was wondering, what is the operators <> used for in standard C++. I ask this because I wasn't aware that such an operator existed outside that visual C++, where it is used to declare an array. Futhermore, what is a vector? You see there's gaps in what I know of C++ due to simply migrated from C. Rather than studying the language as a whole.

See www.codepedia.com/1/CppVector and www.codepedia.com/1/CppTemplate.
    See ya,
    bilderbikkel

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    :
    : Cheers
    :
    [blue]Vector is an array of elements, like someone said here. However, the implementation of it is a linked list - nightmare, in other words. I stopped using vectors long ago - a simple growable array is better in my opinion. I agree, that implementation is compiler dependant, but all compilers, for some reason making a linked lists as vectors.[/blue]
  • bilderbikkelbilderbikkel Posts: 754Member
    : [blue]Vector is an array of elements, like someone said here. However, the implementation of it is a linked list - nightmare, in other words. I stopped using vectors long ago - a simple growable array is better in my opinion. I agree, that implementation is compiler dependant, but all compilers, for some reason making a linked lists as vectors.[/blue]

Hi AsmGuru,

the implementation of a std::vector is NOT of a linked list, a std::list is. A std::vector is guaranteed to have the same layout in memory as an array, for backwards compatibilty with C.

See Scott Meyers article (http://www.artima.com/cppsource/top_cpp_books.html) to say that he regrets that this is not clearly reported in the Standard yet.

See ya,

bilderbikkel