Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

lost account

gud day! im rey tuazon, im using fedora platform for my webserver but unfortunately i forgot my account/password... can you help me on how to get in using the backdoor of fedora?

luking 4ward for ur response.

tnx!

Comments

• IDKIDK Member Posts: 1,784
    : gud day! im rey tuazon, im using fedora platform for my webserver but unfortunately i forgot my account/password... can you help me on how to get in using the backdoor of fedora?
    :

Boot using a discette and become root.
    Go in and edit /etc/passwd.
    If you're using shadowing on your webserver, then don't think I can help you.
  • nugentnugent Member Posts: 87
    [b][red]This message was edited by nugent at 2006-9-28 15:26:36[/red][/b][hr]
    you can boot using a disc or live cd and edit /etc/passwd (if no using shadowing) or /etc/shadow (if using shadowing). if i remember correctly the file format is has one entry per line and each line has several fields seperated with colons (:), so an entry would look something like this:

username:encrypted password:some:other:boring:information

where username is your login name and encrypted password is obviously your password, delete this part so the entry looks like this:

username::some:other:boring:information

alternatively if your are using grub as a boot manager (i think it is the default under fedora) you can boot into single user mode.

in the main grub menu highlight the kernel you want to boot and press e to edit the boot entry, then select the kernel entry (the line begins with kernel and should look something like this: "kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet slash") and press e again to edit this command. at the end of the line add the word "single" (without quotes, so the line should look like this "kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet slash single") press enter to exit edit mode, you should be back at the grub menu now just press b to boot into single user mode.

now you should be able to edit either of the password files mentioned above (/etc/passwd or /etc/shadow) with your favourite console based text editor and reboot when done

------
    nugent

• rsttccrsttcc Member Posts: 3
    : : gud day! im rey tuazon, im using fedora platform for my webserver but unfortunately i forgot my account/password... can you help me on how to get in using the backdoor of fedora?
    : :
    :
    : Boot using a discette and become root.
    : Go in and edit /etc/passwd.
    : If you're using shadowing on your webserver, then don't think I can help you.
    :

thanks a lot! that was a very useful information...
  • rsttccrsttcc Member Posts: 3
    thanks a lot! that was a very useful information....

rey