Upgrade to Turbo C++ - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Upgrade to Turbo C++

LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
No, it is not 1th April. Borland has released a slimmed version of C++ Builder/Delphi and are re-using the name "Turbo" for it. It is ment to be used for hobby purposes and learning.

Perhaps most of you know this already, but for those for are a bit slow to pick up new things, like me, I thought I should post this info while I'm waiting for the download to finish.

Press release here (5th September):
http://www.turboexplorer.com/

RAD tool download [b]free, yay![/b]:
http://www.turboexplorer.com/mirror

It is two rather huge downloads: one with .NET runtime junk etc which you need to get it running. But it should come with BCC5.8 as compiler, VCL and Win32 programming.

I'll get back with a review as soon as the damn download is finished :-)

*cough* Might be worth to check it out if you are still using TC *cough*
No, I don't think they will be compatible...

Comments

• bilderbikkelbilderbikkel Posts: 754Member
    : No, it is not 1th April. Borland has released a slimmed version of C++ Builder/Delphi and are re-using the name "Turbo" for it. It is ment to be used for hobby purposes and learning.
    :
    : Perhaps most of you know this already, but for those for are a bit slow to pick up new things, like me, I thought I should post this info while I'm waiting for the download to finish.
    :
    : Press release here (5th September):
    : http://www.turboexplorer.com/
    :
    : RAD tool download [b]free, yay![/b]:
    : http://www.turboexplorer.com/mirror
    :
    : It is two rather huge downloads: one with .NET runtime junk etc which you need to get it running. But it should come with BCC5.8 as compiler, VCL and Win32 programming.
    :
    : I'll get back with a review as soon as the damn download is finished :-)
    :
    : *cough* Might be worth to check it out if you are still using TC *cough*
    : No, I don't think they will be compatible...
    :

Hi Lundin,

Good to hear you are on it! I've tried to download Turbo Pascal/Delphi, just to get a Pascal IDE and debugger. But then I ran out of harddisc space...

Looking forward for your opinion on the Turbo versions,
    bilderbikkel

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    : : No, it is not 1th April. Borland has released a slimmed version of C++ Builder/Delphi and are re-using the name "Turbo" for it. It is ment to be used for hobby purposes and learning.
    : :
    : : Perhaps most of you know this already, but for those for are a bit slow to pick up new things, like me, I thought I should post this info while I'm waiting for the download to finish.
    : : Press release here (5th September):
    : : http://www.turboexplorer.com/
    : : RAD tool download [b]free, yay![/b]:
    : : http://www.turboexplorer.com/mirror
    : : It is two rather huge downloads: one with .NET runtime junk etc which you need to get it running. But it should come with BCC5.8 as compiler, VCL and Win32 programming.
    : : I'll get back with a review as soon as the damn download is finished :-)
    : : *cough* Might be worth to check it out if you are still using TC *cough*
    : : No, I don't think they will be compatible...
    :
    : Hi Lundin,
    :
    : Good to hear you are on it! I've tried to download Turbo Pascal/Delphi, just to get a Pascal IDE and debugger. But then I ran out of harddisc space...
    :
    : Looking forward for your opinion on the Turbo versions,
    : bilderbikkel
    :
    :

I've tried it out now, I like it a lot - finally a free RAD tool!
    At first sight it looks like some weird breed between Borland Builder, BuilerX and .NET. But it is using VCL, so if you know Builder you'll find it very similar. For someone like me who never use much of the DB features and web junk in Builder, this is perfect. It is like Builder but without all the things you never use anyway. No more pestering the boss for money to buy a new compiler (I refuse to work in VB nowadays :-)).

Even if one is only writing console programs, I'd strongly recommend this compiler just for the IDE. Write the name of your API function and the IDE will tell you what parameters it wants.

Heh, this will be a hard blow against MS. I wonder how it will take before they give away a .NET version for free as well.
  • gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    : : : No, it is not 1th April. Borland has released a slimmed version of C++ Builder/Delphi and are re-using the name "Turbo" for it. It is ment to be used for hobby purposes and learning.
    : : :
    : : : Perhaps most of you know this already, but for those for are a bit slow to pick up new things, like me, I thought I should post this info while I'm waiting for the download to finish.
    : : : Press release here (5th September):
    : : : http://www.turboexplorer.com/
    : : : RAD tool download [b]free, yay![/b]:
    : : : http://www.turboexplorer.com/mirror
    : : : It is two rather huge downloads: one with .NET runtime junk etc which you need to get it running. But it should come with BCC5.8 as compiler, VCL and Win32 programming.
    : : : I'll get back with a review as soon as the damn download is finished :-)
    : : : *cough* Might be worth to check it out if you are still using TC *cough*
    : : : No, I don't think they will be compatible...
    : : Hi Lundin,
    : : Good to hear you are on it! I've tried to download Turbo Pascal/Delphi, just to get a Pascal IDE and debugger. But then I ran out of harddisc space...
    : : Looking forward for your opinion on the Turbo versions,
    : : bilderbikkel
    :
    :
    : I've tried it out now, I like it a lot - finally a free RAD tool!
    : At first sight it looks like some weird breed between Borland Builder, BuilerX and .NET. But it is using VCL, so if you know Builder you'll find it very similar. For someone like me who never use much of the DB features and web junk in Builder, this is perfect. It is like Builder but without all the things you never use anyway. No more pestering the boss for money to buy a new compiler (I refuse to work in VB nowadays :-)).
    :
    : Even if one is only writing console programs, I'd strongly recommend this compiler just for the IDE. Write the name of your API function and the IDE will tell you what parameters it wants.
    :
    : Heh, this will be a hard blow against MS. I wonder how it will take before they give away a .NET version for free as well.
    :

Hmm Isn't Visual Studio Express Edition 2005 already free and so is Visual C# and have been available for a long time now.

Ofcourse otherwise I still prefer gcc as a compiler anyway. :)

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Lundin at 2006-9-27 2:41:56[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : No, it is not 1th April. Borland has released a slimmed version of C++ Builder/Delphi and are re-using the name "Turbo" for it. It is ment to be used for hobby purposes and learning.
    : : : :
    : : : : Perhaps most of you know this already, but for those for are a bit slow to pick up new things, like me, I thought I should post this info while I'm waiting for the download to finish.
    : : : : Press release here (5th September):
    : : : : http://www.turboexplorer.com/
    : : : : RAD tool download [b]free, yay![/b]:
    : : : : http://www.turboexplorer.com/mirror
    : : : : It is two rather huge downloads: one with .NET runtime junk etc which you need to get it running. But it should come with BCC5.8 as compiler, VCL and Win32 programming.
    : : : : I'll get back with a review as soon as the damn download is finished :-)
    : : : : *cough* Might be worth to check it out if you are still using TC *cough*
    : : : : No, I don't think they will be compatible...
    : : : Hi Lundin,
    : : : Good to hear you are on it! I've tried to download Turbo Pascal/Delphi, just to get a Pascal IDE and debugger. But then I ran out of harddisc space...
    : : : Looking forward for your opinion on the Turbo versions,
    : : : bilderbikkel
    : : I've tried it out now, I like it a lot - finally a free RAD tool!
    : : At first sight it looks like some weird breed between Borland Builder, BuilerX and .NET. But it is using VCL, so if you know Builder you'll find it very similar. For someone like me who never use much of the DB features and web junk in Builder, this is perfect. It is like Builder but without all the things you never use anyway. No more pestering the boss for money to buy a new compiler (I refuse to work in VB nowadays :-)).
    : : Even if one is only writing console programs, I'd strongly recommend this compiler just for the IDE. Write the name of your API function and the IDE will tell you what parameters it wants.
    : : Heh, this will be a hard blow against MS. I wonder how it will take before they give away a .NET version for free as well.
    :
    : Hmm Isn't Visual Studio Express Edition 2005 already free and so is Visual C# and have been available for a long time now.
    :
    : Ofcourse otherwise I still prefer gcc as a compiler anyway. :)
    :

I haven't tried it. Does it come with RAD?

Regardless, I'm not overly impressed by .NET and prefer Borland Builder.

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by Lundin at 2006-9-27 2:41:56[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : No, it is not 1th April. Borland has released a slimmed version of C++ Builder/Delphi and are re-using the name "Turbo" for it. It is ment to be used for hobby purposes and learning.
    : : : : :
    : : : : : Perhaps most of you know this already, but for those for are a bit slow to pick up new things, like me, I thought I should post this info while I'm waiting for the download to finish.
    : : : : : Press release here (5th September):
    : : : : : http://www.turboexplorer.com/
    : : : : : RAD tool download [b]free, yay![/b]:
    : : : : : http://www.turboexplorer.com/mirror
    : : : : : It is two rather huge downloads: one with .NET runtime junk etc which you need to get it running. But it should come with BCC5.8 as compiler, VCL and Win32 programming.
    : : : : : I'll get back with a review as soon as the damn download is finished :-)
    : : : : : *cough* Might be worth to check it out if you are still using TC *cough*
    : : : : : No, I don't think they will be compatible...
    : : : : Hi Lundin,
    : : : : Good to hear you are on it! I've tried to download Turbo Pascal/Delphi, just to get a Pascal IDE and debugger. But then I ran out of harddisc space...
    : : : : Looking forward for your opinion on the Turbo versions,
    : : : : bilderbikkel
    : : : I've tried it out now, I like it a lot - finally a free RAD tool!
    : : : At first sight it looks like some weird breed between Borland Builder, BuilerX and .NET. But it is using VCL, so if you know Builder you'll find it very similar. For someone like me who never use much of the DB features and web junk in Builder, this is perfect. It is like Builder but without all the things you never use anyway. No more pestering the boss for money to buy a new compiler (I refuse to work in VB nowadays :-)).
    : : : Even if one is only writing console programs, I'd strongly recommend this compiler just for the IDE. Write the name of your API function and the IDE will tell you what parameters it wants.
    : : : Heh, this will be a hard blow against MS. I wonder how it will take before they give away a .NET version for free as well.
    : : Hmm Isn't Visual Studio Express Edition 2005 already free and so is Visual C# and have been available for a long time now.
    : : Ofcourse otherwise I still prefer gcc as a compiler anyway. :)
    :
    :
    : I haven't tried it. Does it come with RAD?
    :
    : Regardless, I'm not overly impressed by .NET and prefer Borland Builder.
    :
    :

I don't think it does - I mean visual c++ express edition is free. But then I am not a big fan of C# and dotnet either due to backward incompatibilities and various other issues.

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    :
    : I haven't tried it. Does it come with RAD?
    :
    : Regardless, I'm not overly impressed by .NET and prefer Borland Builder.
    :
    :

VC++ 2005 express is not a RAD tool, none of the M$ C++ compilers could be considered RAD. VB is RAD, C# is RAD (I thini), but definitely not C++.

VC++ 2005 Pro is also a cross compiler for Smart Devices (wireless) such as ARM, SH, and several other processors. Its unlikely this new Borland Turbo thingy can do that, but I am going to download and try it out anyway.