finding prime numbers.. - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

finding prime numbers..

MavrixMavrix Posts: 7Member
Hey all, I'm on an assignment and a bit lost. I'm supposed to write a program that finds the average of all prime numbers between 1 and 100 and prints this average to screen:

I can do it all easily enough, except for finding prime numbers.. I suspect it's something to do with the modulas (remainder) operator but not real sure how to lay it out, any help is appreciated guys & gals. ^^

Comments

• PruyquePruyque Posts: 149Member
    : Hey all, I'm on an assignment and a bit lost. I'm supposed to write a program that finds the average of all prime numbers between 1 and 100 and prints this average to screen:
    :
    :
    : I can do it all easily enough, except for finding prime numbers.. I suspect it's something to do with the modulas (remainder) operator but not real sure how to lay it out, any help is appreciated guys & gals. ^^
    :

Here's an easy (and fast) algorithm (pen and paper implementation;) for finding primes up to a certian number:

[code]
    // I don't know if 1 is a prime number, so we'll skip it ;)
    write down the numbers from 2 to lets say 100.
    put a circle around 2 and cross out all higher multiples of 2 (4, 6, 8 etc)
    while there are numbers without a circle or a cross:
    {
    find the next noncrossed number and put a circle around it, and cross out all higher multiples of this number
    }
    all numbers with circles around them are prime
    [/code]

good luck,
    Pruyque
  • MavrixMavrix Posts: 7Member
    I never got back to you to say thanks, was able to figure it out. :)

: : Hey all, I'm on an assignment and a bit lost. I'm supposed to write a program that finds the average of all prime numbers between 1 and 100 and prints this average to screen:
    : :
    : : I can do it all easily enough, except for finding prime numbers.. I suspect it's something to do with the modulas (remainder) operator but not real sure how to lay it out, any help is appreciated guys & gals. ^^
    :
    : Here's an easy (and fast) algorithm (pen and paper implementation;) for finding primes up to a certian number:
    :
    : [code]
    : // I don't know if 1 is a prime number, so we'll skip it ;)
    : write down the numbers from 2 to lets say 100.
    : put a circle around 2 and cross out all higher multiples of 2 (4, 6, 8 etc)
    : while there are numbers without a circle or a cross:
    : {
    : find the next noncrossed number and put a circle around it, and cross out all higher multiples of this number
    : }
    : all numbers with circles around them are prime
    : [/code]
    :
    : good luck,
    : Pruyque
    :

• globalprogglobalprog Posts: 67Member