Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Help! I am Lost

vatavata Posts: 2Member
Hi

I am new in .net and windows. I have absolutely no problem with C or C++ but in windows .....

I tried to begin with C# but what do I need. Please could samebody help me? I try to write some code (http server)

What do I need .net for?
What is .net framework or net framework sdk?
Do I need Visual studio 2005 or is it in .net framework packet?
Do I need to download SDK packet separately?

Please, as you see I am totally lost. and please please do not send my to www.microsoft.com ! every time I try it it get worse?

Thanks for any experiences, information, that could help me.

Comments

• NeonTiger2007NeonTiger2007 Posts: 7Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by NeonTiger2007 at 2006-9-22 5:5:44[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi
    :
    : I am new in .net and windows. I have absolutely no problem with C or C++ but in windows .....
    :
    : I tried to begin with C# but what do I need. Please could samebody help me? I try to write some code (http server)
    :
    : What do I need .net for?
    : What is .net framework or net framework sdk?
    : Do I need Visual studio 2005 or is it in .net framework packet?
    : Do I need to download SDK packet separately?
    :
    : Please, as you see I am totally lost. and please please do not send my to www.microsoft.com ! every time I try it it get worse?
    :
    : Thanks for any experiences, information, that could help me.
    :
    :

Well, you thrown so many questions at a time, jeje; Here are some answers...
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Question: What do I need??
    Answer :
    In order to program in C# you need:
    - The .NET FrameWork 2.0 (Redistributable)
    - The .NET FrameWork 2.0 SDK (Contains documentation, codes,
    etc.
    - Any IDE with good capabilities (I downloaded SharpDevelop)

But there's a better (but heavier in terms of size) choice:
    - Visual Studio 2006 (It contains everything you need inside).

Question: What do I need .NET for?
    Answer :
    .NET is a cross-platform technology (originally implemented by Microsoft) that allows you to program in a .NET-related language (VB.NET, VC++.NET, J#.NET, C#.NET, JScript.NET, etc.) inside a complete programming platform where you can do whatever you want without bothering about the operating system or the hardware platform you program for. It's just like Java in some way, you know: Java compiles its code (Java Byte-Code) in order to get executed on any machine that has got Java Virtual Machine... .NET compiles its code to MSIL (MicroSoft Intermediate Language) in order to get compiled by a just-in-time compiler and executed on any machine that has got the .NET FrameWork...
    Also there's a Linux-oriented version of .NET FrameWork: Mono.
    Question: What's .NET FrameWork SDK?
    Answer :
    .NET FrameWork SDK (aka Software Development Kit) is a superset of the well-known .NET FrameWork. This SDK contains all the FrameWork documentation, sample programs, templates, compilers, etc. It's a must-have!
    Question: Do I need VStudio 2005 or is it in .NET framework packet?
    Answer :
    Visual Studio 2005 contains .NET. But there's now a newer version of VStudio: Visual Studio 2006. I you get VS2006, then you got everything you need...
    Question: Do I need to download .NET SDK packet separately?
    Answer :
    Well. As I said If you get VS2006 you already have it...
    But in the case you don't, go here and download de .NET Framework SDK:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=fe6f2099-b7b4-4f47-a244-c96d69c35dec&displaylang=en
    (NOTE that this link is for downloading an x86 version of the .NET SDK)

GOOD LUCK!

• vatavata Posts: 2Member
    Thanks NeonTiger2007

it was great. thanks a lot. It realty helped.