Operating system written tottally in VIsual basic!! - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Operating system written tottally in VIsual basic!!

Hey all

My name is reptile one day maybe 3 months a go i got a dumb idea of makin an

operatin system tottally in vb i am working on the shell i have finsihed a irc client a music player a genarator

an icon maker and a icq clint a ascii art creator and a few games i need some help

with the hardware part you see i aint too good when it comes down to dtecting the hard disk

motherboard and writing drivers specifically for that i am tinking abt using somethin like wine to run exe files

and some linux source code to run linux and unix files:-)

i really need some help ith this so just mail me at reptile@most-wanted or reply to this message

thank you all

eptile

Comments

• I maybe wrong, but I dont believe this to be possible. VB does all its calls to the Windows iterface. You would have to emulate the windows interface and then you could use VB as the shell, but what would be the point of that?! But agian maybe I am wrong. Now something cool would be a Linux emulator for Windows written in VB. That sure would steam up those whinny Linux users..

LoL

: Hey all

: My name is reptile one day maybe 3 months a go i got a dumb idea of makin an

: operatin system tottally in vb i am working on the shell i have finsihed a irc client a music player a genarator

: an icon maker and a icq clint a ascii art creator and a few games i need some help

: with the hardware part you see i aint too good when it comes down to dtecting the hard disk

: motherboard and writing drivers specifically for that i am tinking abt using somethin like wine to run exe files

: and some linux source code to run linux and unix files:-)

: i really need some help ith this so just mail me at reptile@most-wanted or reply to this message

: thank you all

: eptile

:

• : I maybe wrong, but I dont believe this to be possible. VB does all its calls to the Windows iterface. You would have to emulate the windows interface and then you could use VB as the shell, but what would be the point of that?! But agian maybe I am wrong. Now something cool would be a Linux emulator for Windows written in VB. That sure would steam up those whinny Linux users..

: LoL

:

You're right. VB demands Windows to be running. The best you could do would be to block all the normal windows stuff (mostly by replacing the shell) and show your own. I have doubts that any version of Basic can be used for this.

• You always will need the vbmetcetera60.dll file, and other files in the windowssystem directory. And how you want to install your OS when you don't have a os to run the installation program? But you can make a very cool SHELL OS.

(i am working on a DOS shell os, made with Turbo Pascal. I already have a text interface, a bit better then the MSDos interface, and some files. I use executable and batch files to create new commands, like multiple users under DOS.)

: : I maybe wrong, but I dont believe this to be possible. VB does all its calls to the Windows iterface. You would have to emulate the windows interface and then you could use VB as the shell, but what would be the point of that?! But agian maybe I am wrong. Now something cool would be a Linux emulator for Windows written in VB. That sure would steam up those whinny Linux users..

: : LoL

: :

:

: You're right. VB demands Windows to be running. The best you could do would be to block all the normal windows stuff (mostly by replacing the shell) and show your own. I have doubts that any version of Basic can be used for this.

:

• Just thought I'd add a quick note in here. If you run this new OS through Windows, you're going to be eating up resources like crazy so watch out! Never helps when you're trying to run another program and your computer says "Out of Memory."

: You always will need the vbmetcetera60.dll file, and other files in the windowssystem directory. And how you want to install your OS when you don't have a os to run the installation program? But you can make a very cool SHELL OS.

: (i am working on a DOS shell os, made with Turbo Pascal. I already have a text interface, a bit better then the MSDos interface, and some files. I use executable and batch files to create new commands, like multiple users under DOS.)

:

:

: : : I maybe wrong, but I dont believe this to be possible. VB does all its calls to the Windows iterface. You would have to emulate the windows interface and then you could use VB as the shell, but what would be the point of that?! But agian maybe I am wrong. Now something cool would be a Linux emulator for Windows written in VB. That sure would steam up those whinny Linux users..

: : : LoL

: : :

: : You're right. VB demands Windows to be running. The best you could do would be to block all the normal windows stuff (mostly by replacing the shell) and show your own. I have doubts that any version of Basic can be used for this.

:

:

:

• : Hey all

: My name is reptile one day maybe 3 months a go i got a dumb idea of makin an

: operatin system tottally in vb i am working on the shell i have finsihed a irc client a music player a genarator

: an icon maker and a icq clint a ascii art creator and a few games i need some help

: with the hardware part you see i aint too good when it comes down to dtecting the hard disk

: motherboard and writing drivers specifically for that i am tinking abt using somethin like wine to run exe files

: and some linux source code to run linux and unix files:-)

: i really need some help ith this so just mail me at reptile@most-wanted or reply to this message

: thank you all

: eptile

:

Im just new to VB but a wiz on the old QBasic!

Why dont you spend time creating all the buttons etc. in Qbasic and build your own windows style interface. Its not brilliant but it could work!

I have done a windows style window and it looks very win 3.1 but thats ok! Only problem is working out the formula to resize the window??

• All windows programs will run under dos.

All windows programs need some ddl files or DirectX, and those need a program rundll.exe

Rundll.exe need that slow graphical interface you get with windows (what some people call windows)

So for the games etcetera, you will need windows. In that Qbasic program you will be able to run non-directx games and some programs, but that's it.

• x360madmanx360madman Posts: 1Member
    I have written a very simple type operating system which runs inside of windows. It is called cosmos and have been trying to turn it into a legitimate operating system.
    [hr]
    If you want to try it out download it using this link.
    NOTE: the file is also less than a meg in file size.

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?81o5jyztij9[/url]
  • BitByBit_ThorBitByBit_Thor Posts: 2,444Member
    Just to clear out any misunderstanding here:

At the very least, ANY VB program requires a Windows framework to be running. That is: the Windows API's and the Visual Basic runtime library.
    Here is the dependency list of a generic VB6 program under Windows XP:
    ADVAPI32.DLL
    GDI32.DLL
    KERNEL32.DLL
    MSVBVM60.DLL
    MSVCRT.DLL
    NTDLL.DLL
    OLE32.DLL
    OLEAUT32.DLL
    RPCRT4.DLL
    USER32.DLL

If you want to run it under any other OS than Windows, you'll have to provide for this framework at the very least.

So I'd say: don't bother with drivers... don't bother with booting...
    Not going to happen.

If you're into that kind of stuff, look into Assembly and C (and combining the two).

The best you can get is that your application will act as if it's an OS by going full screen after Windows starts up and then have it's own functionality. Ofcourse, any 'applications' you make for your 'os' can not be EXE files. They have to be components in a DLL file or your OS exe file that act as if they're programs.

Now I saw someone making a remark about memory:
    The last time I got that error message in XP was when I was running a game that wanted more than 1GB of memory. Generally, Windows will boost up your virtual memory to proposterous proportions by using your hard disk space. If your program in one EXE manages to take more than 500 mB of memory, then you have a serious bug in your code!

Best Regards,
    Richard

The way I see it... Well, it's all pretty blurry