Why i can't build my project - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Why i can't build my project

yanghui1023yanghui1023 Posts: 24Member
I use Visual C++ development tool for standard c++.I created a Win32 console project.But sometimes i cant build the project.Note:just sometimes.It says"linking",but however much time i wait,it's still linking,but when i try to close the workspace a dialog encountered saying "You cannot close the workspace while a build is in progress. Select the stop Build command before closing the workspace.",i want to know why?Does anybody know?
thanks in advance!

Comments

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    : I use Visual C++ development tool for standard c++.I created a Win32 console project.But sometimes i cant build the project.Note:just sometimes.It says"linking",but however much time i wait,it's still linking,but when i try to close the workspace a dialog encountered saying "You cannot close the workspace while a build is in progress. Select the stop Build command before closing the workspace.",i want to know why?Does anybody know?
    : thanks in advance!
    :

I get that problem with VC++ 6.0 occasionally too. Just have to use task manager and kill the application.

• MojojojoMojojojo Posts: 17Member
    : I use Visual C++ development tool for standard c++.I created a Win32 console project.But sometimes i cant build the project.Note:just sometimes.It says"linking",but however much time i wait,it's still linking,but when i try to close the workspace a dialog encountered saying "You cannot close the workspace while a build is in progress. Select the stop Build command before closing the workspace.",i want to know why?Does anybody know?
    : thanks in advance!
    :

One of the many goof-ups by Mr. Gate's engineers!
  • bluj91bluj91 Posts: 133Member
    : : I use Visual C++ development tool for standard c++.I created a Win32 console project.But sometimes i cant build the project.Note:just sometimes.It says"linking",but however much time i wait,it's still linking,but when i try to close the workspace a dialog encountered saying "You cannot close the workspace while a build is in progress. Select the stop Build command before closing the workspace.",i want to know why?Does anybody know?
    : : thanks in advance!
    : :
    :
    : One of the many goof-ups by Mr. Gate's engineers!
    :
    personally if your using visual C++ for native develope your silly. It is easier to use the ide from http://www.bloodshed.net/ plus it is actually free for commercial use too. Personally me dont like visual C++ if your developing for .NET it is easier to use the language VB.NET or C# than using visual C++. Simply because your code is far neater in either of these two languages.
  • LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    : Personally me dont like visual C++ if your developing for .NET it is easier to use the language VB.NET or C# than using visual C++. Simply because your code is far neater in either of these two languages.

Since when is VB.NET neat!?! VB was a mess before they added OO, exception handling etc to it, now it is even worse. It might be the most horrible language I've ever seen, it is totally inconsistent and you spend more time looking at the help files than at your code. It is one big "guess the syntax" competition, no matter if you know VB6 or not, you end up with trial & error until you get it right. No serious professional developer would use that language.
  • stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    : No serious professional developer would use that language.
    :

I wouldn't say "never" -- VB makes office automation projects pretty easy to code.
  • LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    : : No serious professional developer would use that language.
    :
    : I wouldn't say "never" -- VB makes office automation projects pretty easy to code.
    :

I'm talking about VB.NET, not VBA. One is forced to use VBA when dealing with MS Office since that's the language MS included in it.
  • bluj91bluj91 Posts: 133Member
    : : : No serious professional developer would use that language.
    : : :
    : : I wouldn't say "never" -- VB makes office automation projects pretty easy to code.
    :
    :
    : I'm talking about VB.NET, not VBA. One is forced to use VBA when dealing with MS Office since that's the language MS included in it.
    :

I too would say that all BASIC and it's descendants are yucky languages, I was more refering to C# than VB.NET.
  • HJHerbertHJHerbert Posts: 1Member
    It may help to go to [Projects] [Settings...]
    tab [Link], Category: [Customize]
    There deselect
    [ ] Link incrementally
    [ ] Use program database
    tab [C/C++], Category: [Precompiled Headers]
    There select
    (o) Not using precompiled headers

Or

Use a Virtual machine
    either Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=04d26402-3199-48a3-afa2-2dc0b40a73b6&DisplayLang=en

or Sun http://www.sun.com/software/products/virtualbox/get.jsp

Then install Windows 2000 on that virtual maschine and compile and develop there.