Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Keyed Table data structure?

komakalakomakala Posts: 34Member
[b][red]This message was edited by komakala at 2006-9-12 20:43:9[/red][/b][hr]
I'm trying to figure out which data structure would be the best for me to use. I'm trying to make a table where each row in the first column has a unique key. I know stacks won't work for my purposes. But I'm not sure if I'll need to use a keyed linked list, or a queue of sorts, or possibly some other data structure that I haven't remembered yet.

The user doesn't need to see the structure, it should be in the background and each cell holds a single character. I'm using VS 2005, any suggestions would be helpful.

- komakala

Edit: Added more details to my question.

Comments

• mumpizmumpiz Posts: 75Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by komakala at 2006-9-12 20:43:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : I'm trying to figure out which data structure would be the best for me to use. I'm trying to make a table where each row in the first column has a unique key. I know stacks won't work for my purposes. But I'm not sure if I'll need to use a keyed linked list, or a queue of sorts, or possibly some other data structure that I haven't remembered yet.
    :
    : The user doesn't need to see the structure, it should be in the background and each cell holds a single character. I'm using VS 2005, any suggestions would be helpful.
    :
    : - komakala
    :
    : Edit: Added more details to my question.
    :
    Hi,

have You thought about DataSets, created with xsd in VS, they also work without database connection and are easily designed, using keys, constraints and the lot usually used in ordinary databases.

greets c.
  • komakalakomakala Posts: 34Member
    : Hi,
    :
    : have You thought about DataSets, created with xsd in VS, they also work without database connection and are easily designed, using keys, constraints and the lot usually used in ordinary databases.
    :
    : greets c.
    :
    Thanks for the suggestion. To be honest I don't know anything really about DataSets. I need to make a multi-demensional table, and I was poking around a little with datasets but I only could figure out how to make columns. And I'll probably eventually need a table sized at least 20x20.

- Komakala
  • mumpizmumpiz Posts: 75Member
    : Thanks for the suggestion. To be honest I don't know anything really about DataSets. I need to make a multi-demensional table, and I was poking around a little with datasets but I only could figure out how to make columns. And I'll probably eventually need a table sized at least 20x20.
    :
    : - Komakala
    :

Hi, multi-dimensional, 20x20 is two dimensions only, 20 rows with 20 columns!!!

DataSets do exactly that:

this is code automatically designed by VS 2003 just by using Xsd

public TimberRow AddTimberRow(
    long Pos,
    string BtName,
    long Cnt,
    System.Double Length,
    System.Double Width,
    System.Double Height,
    System.Double Lfm,
    System.Double Qm,
    System.Double Vol,
    string Material, .............
    a timberRow contains columns, and they are like the rest of the table created visually by adding attributes to your table.
    The above sample is part of a datatable with about 20 columns, but of course the amount of rows can be any number, depending on how much different data you need to store.

greets c.