LoadLibrary fails in 64 bit O.S. - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

LoadLibrary fails in 64 bit O.S.

Hi,
I am using Delphi5. I have used LoadLibrary to load a dll which works fine in all kinds of Win O.S except 64 bit O.S. Handle returned by LoadLibrary is 0(zero). I have tried to trace the problem using GetLastError and FormatMessage. But GetlastError also returns 0 (Zero).

Why so? Is there any setting I need to do?

Plz reply.

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : Hi,
    : I am using Delphi5. I have used LoadLibrary to load a dll which works fine in all kinds of Win O.S except 64 bit O.S. Handle returned by LoadLibrary is 0(zero). I have tried to trace the problem using GetLastError and FormatMessage. But GetlastError also returns 0 (Zero).
    :
    :
    : Why so? Is there any setting I need to do?
    :
    : Plz reply.
    :
    :
    The LoadLibrary(), which is natively used in the Windows unit, is loaded from kernel32.dll, a 32-bit library loader. Since the entry codes will probably (don't know for sure) be different for 32-bit and 64-bit, the LoadLibrary() fails with an unknown error (forward compatibility is still a bit of a problem). A solution might be to import the LoadLibrary() from the 64-bit kernel.
  • Chaitanya_PuneChaitanya_Pune Posts: 87Member
    : : Hi,
    : : I am using Delphi5. I have used LoadLibrary to load a dll which works fine in all kinds of Win O.S except 64 bit O.S. Handle returned by LoadLibrary is 0(zero). I have tried to trace the problem using GetLastError and FormatMessage. But GetlastError also returns 0 (Zero).
    : :
    : : Why so? Is there any setting I need to do?
    : : Plz reply.
    : The LoadLibrary(), which is natively used in the Windows unit, is loaded from kernel32.dll, a 32-bit library loader. Since the entry codes will probably (don't know for sure) be different for 32-bit and 64-bit, the LoadLibrary() fails with an unknown error (forward compatibility is still a bit of a problem). A solution might be to import the LoadLibrary() from the 64-bit kernel.
    :
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reply.
    I have placed GetLastError at wrong place. Now I have placed GetLastError just after the call to LoadLibrary(). So It returns error code 193 which according to MSDN means 'is not a valid Win32 application'. Also I have treid to load some other Dll which I have made. I can load that one. But the problem is in the previous one which is not mine.

Now you can understand the whole problem. Do you have any better suggession ? Mean while I am trying your solution.
  • zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : : : Hi,
    : : : I am using Delphi5. I have used LoadLibrary to load a dll which works fine in all kinds of Win O.S except 64 bit O.S. Handle returned by LoadLibrary is 0(zero). I have tried to trace the problem using GetLastError and FormatMessage. But GetlastError also returns 0 (Zero).
    : : :
    : : : Why so? Is there any setting I need to do?
    : : : Plz reply.
    : : The LoadLibrary(), which is natively used in the Windows unit, is loaded from kernel32.dll, a 32-bit library loader. Since the entry codes will probably (don't know for sure) be different for 32-bit and 64-bit, the LoadLibrary() fails with an unknown error (forward compatibility is still a bit of a problem). A solution might be to import the LoadLibrary() from the 64-bit kernel.
    : -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    :
    : Thanks for reply.
    : I have placed GetLastError at wrong place. Now I have placed GetLastError just after the call to LoadLibrary(). So It returns error code 193 which according to MSDN means 'is not a valid Win32 application'. Also I have treid to load some other Dll which I have made. I can load that one. But the problem is in the previous one which is not mine.
    :
    : Now you can understand the whole problem. Do you have any better suggession ? Mean while I am trying your solution.
    :
    You could try to use LoadLibraryEx() and specify, that the application should not run the entry codes.
    Alternatively, this article might provide an answer if the dll is 16-bit: http://www.thedelphimagazine.com/samples/thunk/article.htm
  • Chaitanya_PuneChaitanya_Pune Posts: 87Member
    : : : : Hi,
    : : : : I am using Delphi5. I have used LoadLibrary to load a dll which works fine in all kinds of Win O.S except 64 bit O.S. Handle returned by LoadLibrary is 0(zero). I have tried to trace the problem using GetLastError and FormatMessage. But GetlastError also returns 0 (Zero).
    : : : :
    : : : : Why so? Is there any setting I need to do?
    : : : : Plz reply.
    : : : The LoadLibrary(), which is natively used in the Windows unit, is loaded from kernel32.dll, a 32-bit library loader. Since the entry codes will probably (don't know for sure) be different for 32-bit and 64-bit, the LoadLibrary() fails with an unknown error (forward compatibility is still a bit of a problem). A solution might be to import the LoadLibrary() from the 64-bit kernel.
    : : -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    : : Thanks for reply.
    : : I have placed GetLastError at wrong place. Now I have placed GetLastError just after the call to LoadLibrary(). So It returns error code 193 which according to MSDN means 'is not a valid Win32 application'. Also I have treid to load some other Dll which I have made. I can load that one. But the problem is in the previous one which is not mine.
    : : Now you can understand the whole problem. Do you have any better suggession ? Mean while I am trying your solution.
    : You could try to use LoadLibraryEx() and specify, that the application should not run the entry codes.
    : Alternatively, this article might provide an answer if the dll is 16-bit: http://www.thedelphimagazine.com/samples/thunk/article.htm
    :
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Zibadian,
    I tried LoadLibraryEx but it also fails on 64 bit machine with same error code i.e. 193. As far as the link ; you have provided ;is concerned it is complicated. I am trying.

By the way thanks for your co-operation and help.

Please let me know if you have other solution.

Bye.