Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Embed a local Access database into a Windows Application (VB .Net)

diggersdiggers Member Posts: 1
I'm creating a standalone windows application which will create and store invoices. It will use an embedded, local MS Access db as the datastore.

I have included the db in the VB .Net project and created the connection string to it. The path is:

C:Documents and Settingsdigbd0My DocumentsVisual Studio 2005ProjectsInvoiceGeneratorTimeExpenses.mdb

When I build the project it outputs everything to the bin folder:

C:Documents and Settingsdigbd0My DocumentsVisual Studio 2005ProjectsInvoiceGeneratorinTimeExpenses.mdb

This is then a different path to the database so any inserts, updates etc take place on this copy of the db.

When I want to distribute the solution to a user (it is only a single user application so the db is not shared) how should I code the connection string so the path is not hardcoded as above and points to the location in which the database is installed?

Comments

• dokken2dokken2 Member Posts: 532
    [b][red]This message was edited by dokken2 at 2006-9-5 12:5:13[/red][/b][hr]
    : I'm creating a standalone windows application which will create and store invoices. It will use an embedded, local MS Access db as the datastore.
    :
    : I have included the db in the VB .Net project and created the connection string to it. The path is:
    :
    : C:Documents and Settingsdigbd0My DocumentsVisual Studio 2005ProjectsInvoiceGeneratorTimeExpenses.mdb
    :
    : When I build the project it outputs everything to the bin folder:
    :
    : C:Documents and Settingsdigbd0My DocumentsVisual Studio 2005ProjectsInvoiceGeneratorinTimeExpenses.mdb
    :
    : This is then a different path to the database so any inserts, updates etc take place on this copy of the db.
    :
    : When I want to distribute the solution to a user (it is only a single user application so the db is not shared) how should I code the connection string so the path is not hardcoded as above and points to the location in which the database is installed?
    :
    :
    :

VB6 has an App object with a Path property, in .Net use -

MessageBox.Show(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly.Location)

from the Location property, you can derive the path and pass that to the connection string