Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

UNICODE and Dx shaders????????????

AseshAsesh Posts: 52Member
Am just wondering why UNICODE version of ::D3DXCreateEffectFromFile and ::D3DXCompileShaderFromFile and other effects and shader compiling functions exist. By default VStudio 2005 compiles project in UNICODE format so I had to typecast (LPCSTR) some/a params of those two APIs and LPCSTR is ANSI for eg, entry point function name in ::D3DXCompileShaderFromFile. Even in it's UNICODE version it's takes LPCSTR as argument. So I typecasted LPCSTR to a param that takes LPCSTR as argument and compile the project in UNICODE format and the shader wouldn't just compile...

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    : Am just wondering why UNICODE version of ::D3DXCreateEffectFromFile and ::D3DXCompileShaderFromFile and other effects and shader compiling functions exist. By default VStudio 2005 compiles project in UNICODE format so I had to typecast (LPCSTR) some/a params of those two APIs and LPCSTR is ANSI for eg, entry point function name in ::D3DXCompileShaderFromFile. Even in it's UNICODE version it's takes LPCSTR as argument. So I typecasted LPCSTR to a param that takes LPCSTR as argument and compile the project in UNICODE format and the shader wouldn't just compile...
    :
    Microsoft is pro-UNICODE and anti-ANSI. Every bt of MS code I've ever seen has been in UNICODE and since they promote it, you can expect them to use only UNICODE in their API's as well. This is one reason I prefer OpenGL and OpenAL.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]