charset problem with debian+ apache+ php + oracle - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

charset problem with debian+ apache+ php + oracle

yovinyovin Posts: 2Member
Hi all

i have apache + php running on debian with instantclient of oracle installed and the whole retrieves data from an oracle db.
From a web page, characters such as '' (alt +130) when i pass from a php page to the database, the is converted to another form such as the default character '?' . further conversion is done when i read the data from the oracle DB to the php page.
I had found that this can be due to 7 or 8 bits of the characterset used in case they are different from the different envs. I tried several methods such as putting utf-8 for the apache php unix env.. it did not work. the oracle NLS_Charset is in iso-8859-1, so i tried to set apache php unix env to this, again this does not work...
The '' if sent from apache + php (easyphp) installed on WINDOWS does pass the correct value to the DB and vice versa.
If you have something on that, it might be helpful to me.

regards

Comments

• XfactorXfactor Posts: 343Member
    : Hi all
    :
    : i have apache + php running on debian with instantclient of oracle installed and the whole retrieves data from an oracle db.
    : From a web page, characters such as '' (alt +130) when i pass from a php page to the database, the is converted to another form such as the default character '?' . further conversion is done when i read the data from the oracle DB to the php page.
    : I had found that this can be due to 7 or 8 bits of the characterset used in case they are different from the different envs. I tried several methods such as putting utf-8 for the apache php unix env.. it did not work. the oracle NLS_Charset is in iso-8859-1, so i tried to set apache php unix env to this, again this does not work...
    : The '' if sent from apache + php (easyphp) installed on WINDOWS does pass the correct value to the DB and vice versa.
    : If you have something on that, it might be helpful to me.
    :
    : regards
    :

You might trying to set the character-set in oracle to utf-8.
  • yovinyovin Posts: 2Member

: You might trying to set the character-set in oracle to utf-8.
    :

reply:

Well i did try set all to iso-8859-1 as is the DB.. But i also tried doing setting the Charset of another DB to UTF-8.. I used the UPDATE PROPS$ SET VALUE$='UTF-8' WHERE NAME='NLS_CHARACTERSET'; but i am not sure for the value i passed.. This i tried connecting to another DB as the Initial DB is one at work and lots of stuff depend on it so that icant change the charset.

the DB i tested is one i installed on my PC but i still dont know if the sql changes the instance or the DB's charset..