charset problem with debian+ apache+ php + oracle - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

charset problem with debian+ apache+ php + oracle

yovinyovin Posts: 2Member
Hi all

i have apache + php running on debian with instantclient of oracle installed and the whole retrieves data from an oracle db.
From a web page, characters such as '' (alt +130) when i pass from a php page to the database, the is converted to another form such as the default character '?' . further conversion is done when i read the data from the oracle DB to the php page.
I had found that this can be due to 7 or 8 bits of the characterset used in case they are different from the different envs. I tried several methods such as putting utf-8 for the apache php unix env.. it did not work. the oracle NLS_Charset is in iso-8859-1, so i tried to set apache php unix env to this, again this does not work...
The '' if sent from apache + php (easyphp) installed on WINDOWS does pass the correct value to the DB and vice versa.
If you have something on that, it might be helpful to me.

regards

Comments

• XfactorXfactor Posts: 343Member
    : Hi all
    :
    : i have apache + php running on debian with instantclient of oracle installed and the whole retrieves data from an oracle db.
    : From a web page, characters such as '' (alt +130) when i pass from a php page to the database, the is converted to another form such as the default character '?' . further conversion is done when i read the data from the oracle DB to the php page.
    : I had found that this can be due to 7 or 8 bits of the characterset used in case they are different from the different envs. I tried several methods such as putting utf-8 for the apache php unix env.. it did not work. the oracle NLS_Charset is in iso-8859-1, so i tried to set apache php unix env to this, again this does not work...
    : The '' if sent from apache + php (easyphp) installed on WINDOWS does pass the correct value to the DB and vice versa.
    : If you have something on that, it might be helpful to me.
    :
    : regards
    :

You might trying to set the character-set in oracle to utf-8.
  • yovinyovin Posts: 2Member

: You might trying to set the character-set in oracle to utf-8.
    :

reply:

Well i did try set all to iso-8859-1 as is the DB.. But i also tried doing setting the Charset of another DB to UTF-8.. I used the UPDATE PROPS$ SET VALUE$='UTF-8' WHERE NAME='NLS_CHARACTERSET'; but i am not sure for the value i passed.. This i tried connecting to another DB as the Initial DB is one at work and lots of stuff depend on it so that icant change the charset.

the DB i tested is one i installed on my PC but i still dont know if the sql changes the instance or the DB's charset..