Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

cpu usage limitation

hi all
im trying to run a multithreaded application on a dual core hyberthreaded machine, linux sees 4 processors on the machine
the problem is that when i run the program the cpu usage is limited to only 99.9%( checked it using top command), each CPU gives the process around 25%.
is there anyway to force linux to give more power of the cpus to the process ?

Comments

• IDKIDK Member Posts: 1,784
    : hi all
    : im trying to run a multithreaded application on a dual core hyberthreaded machine, linux sees 4 processors on the machine
    : the problem is that when i run the program the cpu usage is limited to only 99.9%( checked it using top command), each CPU gives the process around 25%.
    : is there anyway to force linux to give more power of the cpus to the process ?
    :
    Are you sure that every CPU gives 25%?
    Maybe a proccess cannot run on multiple cpus at the same time...

I raelly don't know...
  • nugentnugent Member Posts: 87
    A process can only run on a single processor at any given time, a multithreaded application can run seperate processes on different cpu's at the same time.

you didn't actually say how many cpu's your have, but i would assume that a dual core cpu would show as 2 cpus (although physically one cpu), do hyperthreaded cpu's do the same thing ?

as far as i know the cpu usage show by top command is one figure for all cpu's in a machine (so you are effectively using 100% of available cpu)

however you can modify the priority of a process using the nice command (see the man page for proper usage) or you can check out the "Resource Usage And Limitation" section of the gnu's libc manual:

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Resource-Usage-And-Limitation.html#Resource-Usage-And-Limitation

------
    nugent