Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Corrupt records

chuckwnychuckwny Member Posts: 4
I have a database that is split and shared by about five users. Every once in a while a user comes to me and says that a record is missing. When I locate that record in the tale the row is filled with garbage. I then have to compact and repair and restore the row from a backup version. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Comments

• dokken2dokken2 Member Posts: 532
    : I have a database that is split and shared by about five users. Every once in a while a user comes to me and says that a record is missing. When I locate that record in the tale the row is filled with garbage. I then have to compact and repair and restore the row from a backup version. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
    :

Difficult to know what exactly causes this. I'll see this 2 or 3 times over a year and am maintaining three dozen access databases. It could be a user closed access improperly while a record was being editted instead of exiting properly. Or there was a network latency/collision while a write was being performed. I've also found users leaving the application open all day and night so in the critical ones I have idle code that closes their instance if its open past business hours.

Might also attribute it to the fact that access is not as robust as sql server or oracle. I compact the databases on a regular schedule and have them automatically backed up everyone night so in the worst case I can restore any corrupt records.