Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

make database read only

BigPete85BigPete85 Member Posts: 30
I have a Access 2000 database on a server where different people on different computers use the one same database. The problem is that only 1 person at a time can have it open and save information.

when other users from another computer goes onto the server and opens the database they can still get into it and started entering data, but it will not become saved and there is no warning or such that tells them this.

How can i develop a sort of prompt or something that will say that the database is already open by another user and is read only until the other user closes it?

Comments

• dokken2dokken2 Member Posts: 532
    : I have a Access 2000 database on a server where different people on different computers use the one same database. The problem is that only 1 person at a time can have it open and save information.
    :
    : when other users from another computer goes onto the server and opens the database they can still get into it and started entering data, but it will not become saved and there is no warning or such that tells them this.
    :
    : How can i develop a sort of prompt or something that will say that the database is already open by another user and is read only until the other user closes it?
    :

you either have a problem with the configuration or design of the db. the concept of a database is for multiple people to input/edit/view data simultaneously.

i no longer have 2000 installed but it should be similar to 2002. in 2002 under the TOOLS, OPTIONS menu, on the ADVANCED tab is a setting [default open mode] and the option for SHARED or EXCLUSIVE. it should be SHARED allowing multiple users - exclusive allows only one user.

users should open the db with a shortcut, not access itself because they could select the option to open it exclusively.

on the advanced tab, there is also an option for [default record locking] with options for NO RECORDS/ALL RECS/EDITTED REC. that should be either NO LOCKS or EDITTED, otherwise it will prevent other users from entering data.