Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

event handler onkeyup, onkeydown

pseudocoderpseudocoder Posts: 673Member ✭✭
I'm working with a perl script where I want to poll the keyboard; I've found snippits for the handler itself, but what I'm in the need of is a way to clear the event without having an alert box or submit button. I had the right combination that worked with both IE and Firefox, but I saved over it - long story. :(

Here's a basic sample of what I have now, but it doesn't work.

[code]

function handler(e) {

[/code]

When it was *working,* I could press a key and get the code with each key press. I can't figure out what I did though to cancel the event.

Any ideas on what needs to be done.

TIA

Comments

• leeeoleeeo Posts: 12Member
    : I'm working with a perl script where I want to poll the keyboard; I've found snippits for the handler itself, but what I'm in the need of is a way to clear the event without having an alert box or submit button. I had the right combination that worked with both IE and Firefox, but I saved over it - long story. :(
    :
    : Here's a basic sample of what I have now, but it doesn't work.
    :
    : [code]
    : ...
    :
    :
    : function handler(e) {
    :
    : ...
    : [/code]
    :
    : When it was *working,* I could press a key and get the code with each key press. I can't figure out what I did though to cancel the event.
    :
    : Any ideas on what needs to be done.
    :
    : TIA
    :

First, for IE, you need to add the following into your handlers,

if(!e) e = window.event

Second, you want to use e.keyCode other than just keycode.
    e.g.

function handler(e){
    if (!e) e = window.event;
    alert('You pressed ' + e.keyCode);
    }
  • pseudocoderpseudocoder Posts: 673Member ✭✭
    : : I'm working with a perl script where I want to poll the keyboard; I've found snippits for the handler itself, but what I'm in the need of is a way to clear the event without having an alert box or submit button. I had the right combination that worked with both IE and Firefox, but I saved over it - long story. :(
    : :
    : : Here's a basic sample of what I have now, but it doesn't work.
    : : [code]
    : : ...
    : : function handler(e) {
    : : ...
    : : [/code]
    : : When it was *working,* I could press a key and get the code with each key press. I can't figure out what I did though to cancel the event.
    : : Any ideas on what needs to be done.
    : : TIA
    :
    :
    : First, for IE, you need to add the following into your handlers,
    :
    : if(!e) e = window.event
    :
    : Second, you want to use e.keyCode other than just keycode.
    : e.g.
    :
    : function handler(e){
    : if (!e) e = window.event;
    : alert('You pressed ' + e.keyCode);
    : }
    :

I'd all but forgotten this topic. :O

I *think* what I did before was to write the code to a cookie, and then read it back for printing. The goal was to poll the keyboard (arrow keys in particular) for image swapping. I needed to cancel the event so that the swap was transparent to the user... it was for a game.