using Aspen Plus with Python - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

using Aspen Plus with Python

BumblerBumbler Posts: 14Member
[b][red]This message was edited by Bumbler at 2006-7-11 14:16:4[/red][/b][hr]
Hi,
I need to make Python control Aspen Plus 2004, but it doesn't have any type of COM controls. Does anyone know a way to control the program?

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Hi,
    : I need to make Python control Aspen Plus 2004, but it doesn't have any type of COM controls. Does anyone know a way to control the program?

I guess it depends on what you mean by "control". If you want to automate the pushing of buttons and entering of text, stuff like that, then you could try pywinauto: http://www.openqa.org/pywinauto/

I've only tinkered with it myself, and not recently, so I don't know if it is as powerful as you might need.

If Aspen Plus provides an API via regular (non-COM) DLLs, then you could look up the ctypes module for Python which might be useful.

If none of these work then maybe try asking on comp.lang.python

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• BumblerBumbler Posts: 14Member
    : : Hi,
    : : I need to make Python control Aspen Plus 2004, but it doesn't have any type of COM controls. Does anyone know a way to control the program?
    :
    : I guess it depends on what you mean by "control". If you want to automate the pushing of buttons and entering of text, stuff like that, then you could try pywinauto: http://www.openqa.org/pywinauto/
    :
    : I've only tinkered with it myself, and not recently, so I don't know if it is as powerful as you might need.
    :
    : If Aspen Plus provides an API via regular (non-COM) DLLs, then you could look up the ctypes module for Python which might be useful.
    :
    : If none of these work then maybe try asking on comp.lang.python
    :
    ok, thanks.
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    : [code]
    : $ select * from users where clue > 0
    : no rows returned
    : [/code]
    :
    :

• BumblerBumbler Posts: 14Member
    : : Hi,
    : : I need to make Python control Aspen Plus 2004, but it doesn't have any type of COM controls. Does anyone know a way to control the program?
    :
    : I guess it depends on what you mean by "control". If you want to automate the pushing of buttons and entering of text, stuff like that, then you could try pywinauto: http://www.openqa.org/pywinauto/
    :
    : I've only tinkered with it myself, and not recently, so I don't know if it is as powerful as you might need.
    :
    : If Aspen Plus provides an API via regular (non-COM) DLLs, then you could look up the ctypes module for Python which might be useful.
    :
    : If none of these work then maybe try asking on comp.lang.python
    :
    I got that to open the program, thanks, but now I can't make it use any of the menus because there is a dialog box that opens when the program opens that asks you to load a file or start a new project. Is there a way to make Python close the dialog box or open a file from that box?
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    : [code]
    : $ select * from users where clue > 0
    : no rows returned
    : [/code]
    :
    :

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : I got that to open the program, thanks, but now I can't make it use any of the menus because there is a dialog box that opens when the program opens that asks you to load a file or start a new project. Is there a way to make Python close the dialog box or open a file from that box?

I believe that with the pywinauto library, you can use the caption of the dialog box to access it. Like if the caption in the title bar is "Select Project" then you could do something like "app.SelectProject.OK.Click()". I haven't looked up the syntax, but I think it's something like that.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]